Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Barbells, biker witches and day-to-day life

I get a lot of thinking done at the gym. Sometimes it's almost a Pavlovian thing: I see free weights and my brain starts spitting story ideas, or advertising headlines (my other job). Entire Halloween costumes, birthday cake ideas and hot appetizer buffets have come to me on the treadmill.

So when my programmer friend was after me yesterday to get him the rest of the What's Your Biker Witch Name? quiz (coming soon to www.angiefox.com) I grabbed my notepad on the way to workout.

A half hour later, things were humming along:
Wino Wally No Brakes
Possum Fingered Paulie (actually, he sounds Italian instead of biker)
Buck Toothed Betty

Until a big muscled guy dumped his weight lifting notes next to mine. You see where this is going, right? He took my notebook. It had two pages of ideas - some great, some not so good. But they were my ideas, my scrawls. I was paying so little attention to him that I wasn't even sure what he looked like, only that he was large and sweaty. Yeah, that narrows it down.

So I took a peek into the machisimo area next to the free weights. Lots of men go back and forth, the kind of guys that say "e-yah!" after sets and ooze testosterone. I didn't even pretend to belong, not in my hot pink "Trix is for kids!" t-shirt. But I needed my biker witch notes. So I went from man to sweaty, grunting man asking if any of them had a list of names (blank look) okay, biker witch names (confused blank look), well for this book I'm writing with geriatric biker witches (concerned blank look). Got it on the fifth try.

The muscle guys were actually quite nice. They might have thought I was ill. But still, just because a bunch of Arnold Schwarzenegger wanna-be's don't quite get what I'm doing is no reason to lose faith. Yes, I write a series about a preschool teacher who is forced to take off with a gang of geriatric biker witches. Yes, I lift girly weights while dreaming up people like Slick Eared Earnest. And you know what? I'm having a ton of fun doing it.

The notes are going to my programmer friend tomorrow and the book that started it all, The Accidental Demon Slayer, is coming from Dorchester next month. You can read more about it at www.angiefox.com.

15 comments:

Cory said...

*snerk* I work in a gym. Two gyms, actually. I know exactly the type you're talking about and I'd have paid money to see them confronted with the idea of geriatric biker witches like that.

Angie Fox said...

The funny thing is, I never wear jewelry to the gym, including my wedding ring. So I think at least one of them assumed I was trying to flirt. Eep.

"Yeah, girl. Biker witches and a novel. It's an original pickup line but I know you really want to see me flex."

What we do for our books. Or in this case, biker witch quizzes.

Kathy Bacus said...

LOL, Angie!

I'm lucky if I can manage to concentrate on breathing let alone pondering anything remotely creative while I'm working out.

Can't wait for next month and THE ACCIDENTAL DEMON SLAYER!

As far as biker witch names, I really don't one, but I'll have you know I am still the proud possessor of a motorcycle operator's license and owned my very own Honda 750 back in my younger days.

As expensive as gas is these days, a cycle is looking better and better all the time!

Angie Fox said...

Dang, Kathy. I knew you were hip but I had no idea you had a biker girl past. Makes me wonder what else you're hiding. ;)

Kathryne Kennedy said...

Hey, Angie! Your book sounds like sooo much fun! I'm really looking forward to reading it, especially now that you've described the research you did.:}

Angie Fox said...

Thanks, Kathryne! I had a ball with it.

And I'd like to see some of these e-yah muscle guys run into some of the bikers I met while researching. Two very different kinds of toughness.

Lori T said...

Oh Angie~

The picture in my head. I am imagining you going from one sweaty man to another.

I can hardly wait for your The Accidental Demon Slayer to come out.

Natalie Hatch said...

Hey girls muscles have feelings too you know. It's hard some days, getting up, working out which tank top to wear to the gym so that you can take it off at the gym. Which protein shake to have, will it be Powermax or MaxPower today? Damn, it's soo hard. And then some woman who has no appreciation of all the hard work they put into their muscles comes up asking them if they've seen geriatric biker witches lists... I mean come on ladies! Have some respect. It takes four brain cells to pick up the barbell and only three to put it down... The other brain cell takes a long time working things out by itself, have we mentioned it's hard work? Oh, yeah? Ok, it's hard work. Where was I again?

As for me, I shuffle on my treadmill watching increasingly younger guys saunter through the gym in smaller tank tops over to the Mirrors!! I think it's the mirrors that suck that one brain cell out during a weight session.
Geriatric Biker Witch names:
Mewling ClayBrained Giblet.
or
Ruttish Gut-gripping Harpy

there's a whole lot more over at the Shakespeare Insult Kit
http://www.pangloss.com/seidel/shake_rule.html

Maura Anderson said...

LOL - I can't wait to read about biker witches. I have some leather biker elves :)

I started riding a motorcycle when I was 18 and have owned one ever since - right now a Honda Shadow, complete with far too much leather and chrome.

And I'm a pagan HPS - hey, I'M A BIKER WITCH!

ROTFL

Angie Fox said...

LOL Lori T - I'm guessing the image in your mind is dead-on accurate. I never said I was proud.

And, Natalie, now I know I can't read your comments while sipping Diet Coke. Total keyboard emergency. You've ruined me as far as looking at those guys. I'm heading to the gym in a little bit and I know I'm going to be giggling at them while your commentary runs through my head. Wonder what they'll think of a snarfing, Cocoa Puffs t-shirt wearing, who is now watching them pose in the big mirror. And they do love to pose.

And Maura! Great to meet a biker witch! Maybe you can come to the gym with me and explain to the muscle heads that I'm not a bit daft. Because bringing a biker witch to the gym will surely convince them of that.

Maura Anderson said...

LOL - until they see the tattoos maybe :)

Amberkatze said...

I have already had the pleasure of reading and reviewing 'The Accidental Demon Slayer'.

It is good and you are all going to be begging Mrs Fox for more ;)

Natalie Hatch said...

Hey Angie,
Did the coke come out one or two nostrils? i was aiming for both. But I swear it's true about the brain cells and mirror, go to the gym tomorrow and check it out, you'll see what I'm saying it's an international phenomenon (oh hey I spelt that right the first time!!).

Angie Fox said...

Thanks, Amber. I had a ball with it. It's a light, summery read. With demons.

Angie Fox said...

Natalie, I was in too much pain to notice if it was one nostril or two. Diet Coke is fizzy stuff.

And I hear you re: brain cells and the mirror. I would do a further study, but I'm too afraid to go back in that room. I need my brains for the next book.