Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Channeling Ferris Bueller

My agent asked a question on her blog yesterday that started me thinking. And it's not even a tough question, or at least it shouldn't be. She asked her readers what they did this past weekend. I have to admit my answer left me with a twinge of guilt: I read. A lot.

Of course I did a few other things. The kids are alive and well. My husband had his share of attention. But other than that, I sat back and enjoyed not one, but two great books: a cozy mystery and a lighthearted paranormal.

As I went to answer Jessica's question about my weekend, I racked my brain to think of something, anything I did work-wise. Did I do any brainstorming? Come up with a new character? Work out a plot problem. Nope, nope and…erm…nope.

It took me a morning of feeling guilty to realize that, you know what? It's okay! In today's rushed, overworked society, I think we feel sometimes that we have to be going constantly in order to have a morning, a day, a weekend be worthwhile. And the initial question that started it all wasn't aimed at any certain person or activity. Jessica posed what she probably thought was a fun topic and I made it about work.

Of course I had to get a few things done yesterday. And today - today is busy. But I have learned a lesson in all of this. Tomorrow, I'm taking the day off. Guilt free. I'm going to head to Rose's Bookhouse, grab something fun and relax (again) with a good book. Because you know what? Life's too short. And as Ferris Bueller once said: if you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you may miss it.

5 comments:

azteclady said...

I agree that too often we feel that to be 'worthy' we need to be able to point to something work-like that we've done or are doing.

But that's not a recent thing, really. You have no idea how difficult it has been to get my now-retired, 77 years old mother to enjoy a full day of nothing but watching a movie or reading or just having an engaging discussion--without wanting to do something "productive" at the same time.

Me, I embrace my laziness. Life is really too short to fret over the dishes.

Natalie Hatch said...

relax and enjoy the ride sometimes thats when we get the best inspiration.. although I must admit I added another 7,000 words to my current wip, but that's coz during the week I don't get much time to write.

Angie Fox said...

Interesting! I thought it was a modern issue. I'm not sure if I'm glad or not to know it's been going on for awhile.

And congrats on the 7,000 words Natalie. That's amazing. I'm usually good for around 1,500 a day, if I'm lucky.

Natalie Hatch said...

Thanks Angie, well today was alright as well when it comes to the word count.
I've introduced my teens to Ferris, the older one loves it, the younger one just thinks it's weird. Soon I'll let them watch Sixteen Candles and other great gems like Pretty in Pink... who needs the latest teen movies when you've got great staples to fall back on.

Angie Fox said...

Just checking in to say that loafing is *everything* it's cracked up to be. And then some.