Monday, June 2, 2008

Introduction and Genre Question


Hi, I’m Tate Hallaway (Hi, Tate!) and I’m going to be doing the Monday article on this new blog “Something Wicked…” of paranormal romance/urban fantasy writers.

I thought I’d ease into this with a little introduction. I have a brand-new book out as of last month in the Garnet Lacey series. It’s called Romancing the Dead (Berkley, May 2008).

There are two previous books, though all of them are meant to stand more-or-less on their own: Tall, Dark & Dead and Dead Sexy. Both follow the exploits of Garnet Lacey, a Witch who accidentally drew into her body the dark and murderous Goddess Lilith to protect her coven from attack by Vatican witch hunters. When the stories start, Garnet is on the run and trying desperately to give up witchcraft, which Lilith (and, consequentially, she) crave like a drug. Tall, dark and dead Sebastian Von Traum comes into the occult bookstore the Garnet manages and, as they say, hilarity ensues.

…And zombies, but that’s another story.

Enough about my books, now about me: I live in Saint Paul, Minnesota, which as I have explained to many New Yorkers is not actually all that close to Canada, although we do get a lot of snow… and lately hail (and tornados). I have a house with a garden, some cats and several fish, and a small boy, all of which keep me busy and “off the streets,” as my mother would say. I also practice Wicca, just like my heroine Garnet, and that makes me a Witch--with a “w,” people, a “w!” I’m also an amateur astrologer, though I haven’t had a lot of time to cast any charts lately, and I collect weird, antique and/or esoteric astrology books. My favorites include a couple printed before the discovery of Pluto.

I was recently asked in an interview why I write what I write. I thought I’d share that answer with you: I write paranormal romance/urban fantasy for the explosions.

Seriously, I was talking to a friend about this at a bar the other night, and I confessed that one of my favorite things about writing paranormal romances/urban fantasy is that you get to have all the relationship/girly stuff married to the high-octane adventure/boy stuff. That’s pretty near perfect for me.


What is it that attracts you to the genre?

12 comments:

Angie Fox said...

Great post! And it cracks me up that you write paranormals for the explosions. That pretty much sums it up, although I never thought of it that way.

Thanks for being the brave one to post first. Looking forward to blogging with you!

Tammie King said...

Love the titles :)

Kathy Bacus said...

Congrats on the launch of the blog! From what I can tell, the Midwest is aptly represented here. Minnesota, Missouri, Iowa. (I live in the Hawkeye State, too, Shirley!)

I checked out your websites and all your books sound fabulous. I'm already a fan of Shirley's and can't wait to read fellow Dorchester author Angie's book.

My recent release, FIANCE AT HER FINGERTIPS, was my first foray into paranormal territory and I had a blast writing in this genre and hope to do more stories down the road.

Best of luck with the blog and the books!

Cindy Holby said...

I love writing paranormal urban fantasy. I love making up the world and then giving my characters the challenge of surviving in it. And anything goes. I've got two more in the works and can't wait to get started on them.

Colby Hodge
Twist

Natale Stenzel said...

Happy blog birthday, ladies! I'm a paranormal junkie myself -- can't get enough of them. Scary, light, suspenseful, funny, witches, werewolves, demons, mythology . . . it's all good*g*. I'll have to check out some of the Wicked books next time I'm out. Good luck with the blog and the books!

Best,
Natale

Kim W said...

Yeah! More paranormal authors and goodies (books of course!).

Congratulations on the blog! Can't wait to read what you all have to say. I'm already a fan of Ann and Shirley - now I get to add Tate, Angie (hi Angie from RCRW!) and Karen to my list!

Paranormal authors rock!
Kim

Angie Fox said...

Hey! Great to see everyone. And I have to brag on Kim for a second. Her historical release, Her One Desire, just received a four star review from RT. Go Kim!

Rowena Cherry said...

Cool blog!
I love the title.

Best wishes,
Rowena

Helen Scott Taylor said...

Hi Tate, great first post. Congrats to you all on the new blog.

Your books sound fun. I love paranormal that mixes dark with some humor.

Bonnie Vanak said...

Congratulations on the new blog! Your book sounds fascinating, Tate.

Interesting question about the genre. I like paranormal, both reading and writing it because of the magic element. Who wouldn't want a little magic in their life?

Lori T said...

Hi Tate,

Great post and the explosion reason made me laugh.

I love paranormal basically for the same reasons...I get my romance but with a bit of action/adventure and or mystery thrown in as a bonus.

I am really looking forward to checking out your blog and have you bookmarked already.

Amberkatze said...

I just love the genre! You have action, mystery, sex, unusual, paranormal, excitement and much much more!!

Well done on another great book Tate! I have the review up on my blog already and I am looking forward to the next book!