Friday, June 13, 2008

Paranormal ponderings



So I promised last week that I would be back to touch upon this topic. And I've had a bit of time to think about it -- not to mention a few glasses of wine, which may or may not be helpful.

Why paranormal?

Because it's fascinating. Fundamentally interesting. We as a species have believed in magic of one sort or another since the dawn of time. The scientist in me (I was almost an ecologist) pooh-poohs the notion, but another part of me -- the deeper, lizard-brain part of me -- is desperate for magic. Particularly when the candles are flickering as I sit on my front porch Halloween night, black robes clinging to my calves in the breeze.

I want to believe that there's more beyond the surface.

We operate in our rational minds most of the time, but I believe there's a hidden, more primitive side that understands the world in a way our logical brains can't comprehend.

So why paranormal? Because it's endlessly intriguing, and because I've been drawn to it since the day I was born.

Besides, stories are so much more fun to write when the rules are fluid. Don't you think?

3 comments:

Natalie Hatch said...

I think the reason paranormals are so popular right now is because society is becoming dreary and we long for escapism, a way to be something we are not. To be able to save the day, we know that as ourselves we could never do it, but if we had superpowers, or magic, then you betcha we could kick arse with the best of them.

Amberkatze said...

Paranormals just take you away from your ordinary drab life. I know it is my way of escaping the real world of work, bills and the news.

Read a book!

azteclady said...

I like paranormals because I feel they explore all those "unknown but around us" things that Hamlet was talking about. Often, they'll seek answers to seemingly mundane "what if..?" questions.

In that sense, yes, the rules are more fluid--not your regular laws of physics.

However, once the rules for that particular universe are set, it bothers me if suddenly, three books down the road (or in the last chapter of the first book even) there is suddenly a loophole--the dreaded Deus Ex Machina. That will yank me out of the story and leave a bad taste in my mouth to boot.