Thursday, July 3, 2008

Ant or Grasshopper?

I'm a grasshopper-not ala David Carradine in KUNG FU-but as in the old tale of the Ant and the Grasshopper. Remember that one? The industrious ants who worked hard laying away stores for the winter while the silly grasshopper fiddled?

Ants are so organized-my oldest daughter and several of my girlfriends are ants. They have "to do" lists and they get to make nice big check marks on it as they move through their day. They're always on time and they always have exactly what they need when they need it 'cause they've thought ahead. They have grocery lists and don't wander up and down the aisles aimlessly trying to remember why they came to the store in the first place like I do.

I want to be an ant-I really do. I make "to do" lists, too, but then I misplace them. I enter my schedule on my calendar, but then I forget to look at it. I've even tried setting the alarm on my cell phone, but wound up answering it when it rang and then couldn't figure out why no one was there. (Okay, that's a slight exaggeration-yes, the cell phone did go off, and yes, I did answer it-hey, it's a new phone and I haven't learned about all the bells and whistles yet-but I was already on my way to my appointment!) I can remember what month someone's birthday is, but for the life of me, I can't remember the date. My life would be so much easier if I were only an ant!!!

Functioning as a writer would be easier if I were an ant. In addition to the writing gig-I work full time, and most days, there doesn't seem to be enough hours to get everything done. I also have a home to maintain, children and grandchildren to spend time with, and, oh least I forget, trying to train my wayward dog into being a better citizen! (that's a long story I'll save for another blog!) I always start out with the best intentions-yes, I AM going to write five pages today-but before I know it, the day's finished and I've only TWO pages done not FIVE. Great, now I'm behind schedule and I've a deadline looming. Talk about stress!

I know I'm not the only one trying to find balance-most people lead very hectic lives. So how about you? Are you an ant or a grasshopper? And if you're an ant-got any tips?

Take care and happy Fourth of July to everyone!!
Shirley

5 comments:

Lori T said...

Hi Shirley,

I am a grasshopper too. I would love to be an ant...organized, on time, and not going out of my mind trying to remember things. I am always impressed by those who are able to be organized and know exactly what they are doing.

Maybe someday...I doubt this but one can hope.

I hope that everyone has a great holiday weekend.

Angie Fox said...

Can I be both? A lot of times, I can be organized. Heck, it's a lot easier when I am. But sometimes, a plan can be the thing holding me back and I have to let it go.

Example: book revisions or advertising writing (my other job) or any kind of creative writing. Sometimes, I'm on top of it and things are flowing. Other times, it's best to let it go (even with a deadline looming) and let the ideas come when they're ready.

So what does that make me? An Ana-hopper? Maybe a Grass-ant.

azteclady said...

I'm a grasshopper-wannabe-ant.

Or something like that.

Natalie Hatch said...

I scurry enough for an ant, but then end up flat on my back wondering where the day went like a grasshopper.
Oh and I love Lists... they're my lifesaver because I've got mother brain, I can remember every little detail of any slight, but where did I put my keys or who drank all the orange juice? Nah got nothing here.

Sarah said...

Absolute grasshopper!