Thursday, July 31, 2008

A Confession

I'll admit it-I watch reality TV. Forensic Files, The New Detectives, Snapped, Ghost Hunters (love Grant!)-anything to do with murder and mayhem, or the paranormal-and personally, I refer to these viewing habits as "research." Wait, did I hear someone call out "Be honest-tell them what else you watch, Shirley,"?

(Sound of feet shuffling)

Okay, okay-I also watch Bridezilla! (No, even though I'm single, I do not have wedding veil fever!) The show's about a bunch of bride-to-be's acting like prima donnas and behaving very badly! For example, this week's episode was a real hum-dinger! That young woman expected her fiancé to literally jump whenever she snapped her fingers, and before the episode was over, she'd made both her fiancé and her matron of honor cry! In a previous episode, one got ticked because her expensive wedding veil was the wrong shade and, in a fit of rage, shredded the sucker on camera! (I really wish they'd do kind of a "Bridezilla Revisted." You know...where they talk to these couples again, six months after the wedding? I'm curious to know how many of them are still married!)

I don't know why I watch it-I suppose for the same reason people gawk at car accidents. And it's hard for me to understand why these women would want their nastiness preserved for all time on film. (A nice memento to show the grandchildren 30 years down the road? "Here kids, watch how mean Grandma was to Grandpa!") Anyway, watch it I do, and I'm not proud of it!

Question of the week-do any of you have a favorite TV show, with absolutely no redeeming social value, yet one that you can't help watching??? Come on, ladies, I 'fessed up to mine!! ;)

Until next week,
Shirley

8 comments:

nascarandbeans said...

we recently started watching Big BRother 10, but thats only because Jessie the bodybuilder is my daughters boyfriends best friend..
GO Jessie.. hope you dont get kicked off tonite..lol..
other than that i dont watch a ton of tv.. im totally addicted to Army Wives though..

Just another SAHM said...

My husband & I can't seem to change the channel when certain shows are on VH1 like Best Week Ever, Surreal Life, I Love the 80s (any version) and Celebrity Fit Club.
Absolutly nothing but pure guilty pleasure! lol We are so bad we even Tivo'd the last hour of the Top 100 Songs of the 80s so we wouldn't miss it.

Katie said...

I'm totally addicted to America's Next Top Model. If it is, even if I have seen it a zillion times, I will watch it. I can't not...

Susan said...

I watch Big Brother 10 and Wipeout. On weekends I can watch a marathon of Bridezilla!

paigemaddison said...

Give me Bravo.

Top Chef, Top Design, Project Runway, Sher Genius... the list keeps going... I set them up to record so I don't have to wait. I can be working and know that I can watch it at three am, or at 2pm the next day.

Brandy said...

I admit, I watch Bridezilla. I can't believe how those women act! The one where the groom cut a whistle off from around his fiance's neck and she raced after him and STABBED AT HIS HEAD with a pair of scissors? OMG! Rock the Reception is pretty cool, but my guilty, guilty pleasure? Tori and Dean Home Sweet Hollywood on Oxygen. *G*

micheleleesbooklove said...

A lot of the same ones you like. Snapped, People's Court, Dr. Phil all end up making the best background "noise" for writing. I get the most done when those are on. I've tried others with varying results. L&O works, so do the CSIs, but not always with the true life stuff. Plus during the summer I get interrupted a lot by the kids. At least with CSI and L&O if something bothers them I can say "Well it's pretend, remember?"

Lori T said...

I am a reality tv show junky...I am a bit embarrassed to admit it. There was a time that I did not watch reality shows...now I cannot get enough of them. I watch Big Brother 10, Flipping Out, Sheer Genius, Project Runway, America's Next Top Model...and I there are probably a few more that I am not thinking of right now. I know it is absolutely embarrassing!!