Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Truth about Authors

Everyone had such a good time with our contest last week that it got me thinking about the relationship between reader and author. I'll let you all in on a little secret-at least in my experience-most writers (and that includes me!) are somewhat lacking in self confidence when it comes to their work. Whenever I meet a reader at an event and they tell me how much they've enjoyed one of my books, invariably my first response is "Wow, they must've missed how I messed up in Chapter Three! I really could've done so much better with that scene!" (but, of course, I never say that aloud!)

Why are authors that way?? I don't know. It could be because the world we create is from the inside out, or maybe it's because the actual craft of writing is so solitary. Like I said, I don't know, but I do know each and every time I meet a reader, receive an email, or read something positive posted on this blog or others, it truly means the world to me. It gives what I do meaning, and it's what keeps me tapping away on the keyboard even though there's a niggling little thought in the back of my head..."What if this one tanks? Man, I'd have to change my name and write in another genre!" I'd hate that...I really would...I love writing paranormal mysteries!!

So what is my point? (there is one-trust me!) The point is...to all of you who keep buying our books, who keep saying nice things about us and to us...you have no idea how much it means to authors. You bolster our self confidence! You are the most important part of this crazy business. Without you, there would be no business-you're the ones that keep the wheels rolling and the presses churning! And getting to meet you, either in person or in cyberspace, is one of the best things about being an author.

My question of the week? As a reader, if given the chance, what author would you most like to meet??? (To get the ball rolling-I'll tell you mine-Barbara Michaels/Elizabeth Peters. I've read her for years! And if I ever did meet her, I'm sure I'd turn into a blithering idiot! Which would be too bad-I'm told Ms. Michaels doesn't suffer fools gladly!!!)

Have a good one,
Shirley

13 comments:

Kimberly B. said...

Oh, you took mine! I'd love to meet Ms. Michaels/Peters myself, both because she's my favorite author and because she has combined her fiction writing with an academic career, something I'd like to do myself. I did write her a fan letter when I was a teenager, and got a nice letter in response.
Other than that, I'd love to meet Diana Wynne Jones, who was doing the children's fantasy thing long before Harry Potter came along.

sidhevicious said...

Do I have to pick just one? How about a conference where all of my fave authors are attending? LOL

I would love to meet Sherrilyn Kenyon, Laurell K. Hamilton, Nina Bangs, Gena Showalter, Jennifer Rardin, Lilith Saintcrow and JR Ward. I love each author's works for too many reasons to list.

Brandy said...

I've already met her once, but I love to meet Jennifer Crusie again. *G*

Night critter said...

I have more than one. I would love to meet Charlaine Harris, Kim Harrison, Rachel Vincent, Lilith Saintcrow, Jennifer Rardin and you Shirley .

Stargazer said...

I would love to meet Jacqueline Carey, Amanda Ashley, Stephenie Meyer (the Twilight books...OMG good sigh....) Those are my top 3

danetteb said...

I'd love a chance to meet Sherrilyn Kenyon. She is the author that got me hooked on paranormal,it would be nice to be able to thank her.:)

Hugs, Danette

Shirley Damsgaard said...

Aww, Night Critter, thanks! (she says with a big grin!) I'd love to meet you in person someday, too! You also picked one of my favorites (as you can tell from early posts)--Charlaine! I have had the pleasure of meeting her, and she's not only a terrific author, but also very nice and very, very funny! She's one of the best panelists I've ever heard. I hope someday you do get to meet her!

And Kimberly--how cool to receive a letter from Ms. Michaels!! (Personally, I love her Amelia Peabody series!!) She's had an amazing career and her body of work is just astounding. Maybe someday we'll both be lucky enough to meet her in person, huh??? (Grin)

I also agree with Sidhevicious--a conference with all ones favorites would be terrific! And then like Danetteb said, you could thank each one of them for what their writing has meant to you! Me? I'd like to thank Janet Evanovitch for all the laughs she's given me in her Stephanie Plum series. (Love Grandma Mazur!!)

Got to fly for now--thanks to everyone for sharing your faves! Oh btw, a plus for me--you've given me the names of some authors I haven't read yet!! I'll have to check them out!!

Best,
Shirley

Gypsy said...

maggie shayne, she started me off on paranormals

Raonaid said...

Authors I would so like to meet? Sherrilyn Kenyon (hopefully soon i'd get to see her), Mercedes Lackey, Johanna Lindsey, Lara Adrian those to start off with

Amberkatze said...

I would just be happy to have the opportunity to meet any of my favourite authors.

Being in Europe sucks! Nobody except big names or local writers come here...if you are ever in Vienna...any of you! Please let me know!!!!

Lori T said...

Right now, I think that if I had to choose authors I would like to meet...they would be Ann Aguirre, Adrian Phoenix, and Jeri Smith-Ready. They are my favorite authors right now and I have spoken with them online and they seem so nice and friendly...and I cannot even begin to tell you how nervous I would be if I actually was able to meet them in person!

Shirley Damsgaard said...

Lori,

I can't speak for other authors, but if this is any consolation...I'm just as nervous meeting readers as you are meeting authors!! I always want each and every event to be a positive experience for everyone who attends, so I put a lot of pressure on myself worrying about it. Which is really kind of silly!! (grin) 99.9% of the time, things go well, it seems everyone has fun, and I receive positive feedback from those who've attended!

So don't worry about meeting your favorite author--they might be nervous, too! And my guess is that they're also thankful you came out to see them!!

Shirley

Just another SAHM said...

Oh the list is so long!!
Dana Stabenow, Charlaine Harris, Mary Janice Davidson, Janet Evanovich, Jim Butcher, Iris Johanson, Sue Grafton and Nora Roberts (I'm a sucker for her trilogies) are just a few off the top of my head.
I'm with you Lori, I'd be nervous & likley trip over my own tongue. lol That is one reason I love these author blogs! We readers get the chance to "talk" to authors in such a casual forum.