Thursday, July 17, 2008

You Can't Win if You Don't Play


Thanks to everyone who left a message on my post last week, and now to announce the winner of the signed copy of WITCH WAY TO MURDER-Kimmyl! Send me(shirley@shirleydamsgaard.com)your mailing address, Kimmy, and I'll get your book off to you right away!

And while we're talking about last week's post-I think it's very cool that most posts pointed out how we (and I use "we" 'cause I'm with you on this one!)like strong female characters!! Remember the day when most of the women characters were clueless ingénues who waited for the big, strong hero to rescue them at the eleventh hour?? Not anymore-and the shift delights my little feminist heart!!

I also found Natalie Hatch's comment about sidekicks interesting and so true! In Ophelia and Abby, O's main partner in crime, Darci, has been really popular with a lot of the readers. Women seem to enjoy the way Darci is able to turn the table on men!

So how did Darci come to be?? Well, let me tell a quick story to illustrate, and then I'll move on to the more important stuff-my give-away to celebrate our re-release party! Okay…first a little background-I live in the Midwest where things can be rather conservative at times, and every so often one will run into what we'll call (not to step on any masculine toes) an un-enlightened male. One such instance happened several years ago, at an official function. I was asked to take a photograph of another Postmaster receiving a plaque, but unfortunately, I couldn't get the dang camera to work! After several tries, a gentleman stepped forward and offered his assistance. Alright…maybe he was just trying to be helpful, but his attitude came across as "here, honey, let ME do it." As if I weren't smart enough to take a picture because 1. I'm female and 2. a blonde (little did he know-my hair color comes straight from L'Oreal!) Anyway, the end of the story?? HE couldn't get the camera to work either-and let me tell you-that fact gave me no small amount of satisfaction!

When I began to imagine characters, the above story came to mind, and I thought "wouldn't it be great to have this, what appeared to be, ditzy blonde whom everyone underestimated?" Voila…enter Darci. Is she a ditz? Sometimes, but she's also the one who often points O in the right direction when it comes to solving the mystery. AND, she's fun to write!

Okay…enough of that…let's give away some books!!! In honor of kick-butt heroines, answer the four questions below, and five winners will receive signed copies of the latest Ophelia and Abby, THE WITCH IS DEAD. Here's the questions:

1. This one is easy, easy, easy, but no list of strong female characters would be complete with out her…what's the name of J. D. Robb's lead in her "Death" series?
2. Sara Paretsky paved the way for women writers when she created her female private eye. What's the character's name?
3. Though not exactly a "kick butt" heroine, this character isn't above staking a vamp or two, or plugging a were, should the situation call for it. Who's the heroine in Charlaine Harris's Southern Vampire series?
4. This series started over 20 years ago with the letter "A." What's the name of Sue Grafton's private eye in her Alphabet series?

16 comments:

CrystalGB said...

Great post. Congrats to KimmyL.

1. Eve Dallas
2. V.I. Warshawski
3. Sookie Stackhouse
4. Kinsey Millhone

Lori T said...

1. Eve Dallas
2. V.I. Warshawski
3. Sookie Stackhouse
4. Kinsey Milhone

Pam P said...

Liked the post, and congrats to Kimmy.

1. Eve Dallas
2. V.I. Warshawski
3. Sookie Stackhouse
4. Kinsey Millhone

Megan said...

Awesome post! I have to admit I have a soft spot for underestimated sidekicks as well as kick-butt heroines.

And my answers:
1. Eve Dallas
2. V.I. Warshawski
3. Sookie Stackhouse
4. Kinsey Millhone

sidhevicious said...

I am so with you on the "enlightening un-enlightened males", lol. I have about a zero tolerance for men like that. Funny, I always hear that "anything you can do I can do better" song/jingle in the back of my head, playing like a movie soundtrack when I encounter a man like that! :) I enjoyed your post.

1. Eve Dallas
2. V.I. Warshawski
3. Sookie Stackhouse
4. Kinsey Malone

azteclady said...

Congrats, KimmyL!

sidhevicious, that's exactly what I was thinking! (and I get the visual: my daughter sang it in one of the school plays in elementary school :grin:)

Erm... Shirley? *shuffling feet* the only one of the questions I can answer from first hand knowledge is the first--I haven't read any of the others *sheepish*

:-(

nascarandbeans said...

dont feel bad Azteclady, i am sitting this round out too as i havent read them...
gotta love a strong kickbutt kinda gal though..gotta keep those men in check.

azteclady said...

I'm weak and can't help myself... here

Hey, nascarandbeans, did you take those brownies I left for you in an earlier thread?

Natalie Hatch said...

You know I've never heard of Sookie Stackhouse. I remember the disasterous movie Kathleen Turner starred in where she played Warshawski... that was not good.

Kimberly B. said...

1. Eve Dallas
2. V. I Warshawski
3. Sookie Stackhouse
4. Kinsey Millhone
Thanks so much!

Shirley Damsgaard said...

To those of you who said they haven't read the authors that I mentioned-all I can say is we have some very honorable ladies here!!! Think about it girls-I didn't when I made up those questions! All anyone had to do is copy the first person's answers (thanks CrystalGB!) and everyone would've had them right! (kind of a screwy contest where everyone can read each others answers, huh?) This realization hit me at work this morning, after I'd posted. My reaction? Talk about someone being a ditz!!! Either the peroxide has seeped in and killed one too many brain cells, or I just wasn't thinking at 4:30 this morning when I made up these questions!!! Anyway, thanks to everyone for not pointing out my, um, lack of cleverness, shall we say??? I'll try and think up better questions next time!!

And, yes, Natalie, you're right about Kathleen Turner starring in the film adaptation of Sara Paretsky's V.I. Warshawski. Ms. Paretsky was also one of the founders of Sisters in Crime-an organization dedicated to the advancement of women mystery authors, so for that reason, she's one of my heroes-I had to mention her! And now for those who haven't read Sookie Stackhouse-if you enjoy vampire tales, you've got to give Charlaine a try!!! Personally, I think they're terrific!! (a side note-Charlaine is also a real hoot and if you ever get the chance to hear her talk, I guarantee it's well worth it!!)

One more thing about my boo-boo-if you posted today, you're in! Doesn't matter if you answered the questions or not! I'll be posting the 5 winners of THE WITCH IS DEAD next week!

Take care and have a good one!
Shirley

Night critter said...

Love kick-butt heroines, these are all great series.

1. Eve Dallas
2. V.I. Warshawski
3. Sookie Stackhouse
4. Kinsey Millhone

Dawn said...

1. Eve Dallas
2. V. I. Warshawski
3. Sookie Stackhouse
4. Kinsey Millhone

Eve & Sookie are favorites of mine. #2 I knew even though I hadn't read the books. I had to google the last one though. I knew the books but not the character.

Thanks! :0)

nascarandbeans said...

thats so sweet of you to enter us anyway.. i didnt feel right about cut and pasting someone elses answers...
thanks for the virtual brownies azteclady.. i left some for the rest of the visitors too..lol..

Just another SAHM said...

1. Eve Dallas
2. V.I. Warshawski
3. Sookie Stackhouse
4. Kinsey Millhone

Holy Cow, The Kinsey series started 20 years ago??

I'm feeling old right about....now.
lol

"unenlightened males" hah a much nicer term than I usually use!

Katie said...

It is wonderful of you to give away copies without the answers. I only knew #3 off the top of my head and would have had to do some work on the others. Since I am under the weather today, that might have been a HUGE job.

Katie