Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Home is where the t-shirts are


I'm back from the RWA conference in San Francisco and - I admit it - suffering from a bit of culture shock. There are no more chocolates on my pillow, no more tables full of free books and no more walking downstairs in the morning and spotting Nora Roberts. Instead, I have family, some (mostly) dead plants and the ability to lounge around in shorts and a t-shirt once again. Ahh...home at last.

Don't get me wrong - San Francisco was wonderful. I think the highlight had to be the Literacy Booksigning on Wednesday night when it seemed like every other person I met had a biker witch name. Or when my agent treated all of her clients to an afternoon at Lovejoy's tea room. I had a ball with the other BookEnds authors, including Something Wicked's Karen MacInerney - and I even learned what a crumpet is.

I spent quality time with my editor and managed to wrangle a drink out of Ann Aguirre. Pics are coming, as soon as I find the download cord for the camera (bad Angie). In the mean time, here's a shot of me (on the far left) with Kimberly Killion and Megan Kelly as we got together before the RITA awards.

It was a fantastic trip, but I have to say it is good to be back in St. Louis, land of humidity. Back in a pair of comfy shorts, with a computer on my lap and story notes scattered all over the couch. Because as much fun as it is to get away, there really is no place like home.

7 comments:

Brandy said...

So, how are the tomato plants? *g*

Natalie Hatch said...

I'm thinking now you're going to go back to writing all renewed with energy to push out 7 novels a year like Nora???

Angie Fox said...

The tomato plants are yellow, wilted and rather angry at me for leaving. Still, I think they'll survive. The flowers surrounding them? Not so much. They're all brown and crispy. When I asked Jim if he'd watered them at all he said, (with much sincerity) "It rained."

Angie Fox said...

LOL I only wish I had the stamina of La Nora. Maybe I'll send my two small kids over to her house and sneak some writing time that way.

danetteb said...

It's good to hear you had a nice trip.

Sorry about your tomato plants, my dad and brother forget to water my mom's plants when she goes on vacation. It's a good thing she has a green thumb and gets her plants back to growing.

Hugs, Danette

Angie Fox said...

I need to borrow your mom. On the flip side, the plants on my windowsill in the kitchen now have mold growing on the outside of the pots from too much watering. I went to throw them out last night, but my 4-year-old daughter caught me. She said she'd nurse my sick plants back to health, so right now, they're on the kitchen counter, wrapped in baby blankets and surrounded by stuffed animals. We'll see how it goes.

danetteb said...

Awe. Kids always see the brighter side.