Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The latest wicked book is DONE!

Okay, so while everybody else in America is getting back to work today, I'm inviting you all to sit down and have a glass of bubbly with me instead. That's because I turned in the manuscript for The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers last night (late last night). While everybody else was at barbeques this past weekend, I was on deadline. But you know what? It was actually a lot of fun watching everything come together.

You write a book in so many pieces and chapters. I don't know about other writers, but I rarely have time to read an entire book in one sitting. That's always my final step - sitting down with a Diet Coke and cookie stash (vital for brain power) and making sure it all hangs together.

Every book is a new experience, at least for me. This morning, I've been thinking about the things I learned while writing The Dangerous Book.

Don't over-think it
When I tried to write the beginning that the book "should" have, it was hard and it didn't quit hit right. When I had the courage to trash that part and write something that amused me, bing, it was exactly what the book needed.

Every manuscript needs a good bikini wax
I know I have a reputation for a super-fast pace, but that's what I like to write (and read). And when you're writing that way, it's important to make every word count. I always think I write tight, but then in edits, it's easy to see a lot of pudge in that manuscript. Cutting out the extra words makes everything read so much better.

A good critique buddy is, well, amazing
My critique partner, Chessie, read the final draft of the manuscript with a colicky baby, a sick toddler and hurricane Gustav blowing into town. And she did a heck of a job. It's a favor I didn't expect, but it sure reminded me how great I have it with her, and why she's such a success with her own work. Dedication, baby!

So let's make a toast to good friends, hard work and the books that make it all worthwhile.

11 comments:

Katie said...

Congratulations!!!

Natalie Hatch said...

Hooray Angie, that's great news, so now we'll be waiting for the book.... lol.
As for critique partners, well what could we do without them? Probably end up writing slop if they didn't jump in and say 'no, the horse was shot in the second scene you can't have your heroine galloping off into the sunset on it at the end, it would be rotting from the bacteria and humidity.....' and so on and so forth.
I just plotted and wrote a YA in two weeks so now I'm editing. I think I really like this story that's why it came out so fast.
Instead of bubbly after I typed 'the end' I received a soggy biscuit wiped over my jeans and a big toothy grin from twinling1. It's a pay off in its own right I guess.

Jess Granger said...

Hey Angie!

Fantastic work getting the second book in last night. So what are you going to do to celebrate? We seriously have to have some sort of deadline celebratory ritual.

Brandy said...

Congratulations! Can't wait to have it released! You deserve a treat. *G*

Angie Fox said...

I celebrated with a giant cleaning binge. For some reason, finishing a big writing project always makes me want to go find a mop. There's got to be something psychological going on, but darned if I know what it is.

Natalie Hatch said...

Uh it's probably because we ignore housework for a few weeks while we're writing and the authorities are ready to declare our homes a disaster zone.

Angie Fox said...

Good point. And my husband's version of cleaning is wiping off the kitchen counter (when he's feeling inspired).

I think it's nervous energy too. You're pouring all of this excitement into a book and then the book is gone. It's got to be re-directed somewhere, and the kitchen floor is so close...and the cabinets...and the stove...and...

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Way to go, Angie!!! So glad it all came together. Send your deadline good vibes my way. ;) What's on your plate next?

Angie Fox said...

I'm teaching an online class next, which is going to be a lot of fun. It starts next week and it's called Lining up the Bones: How to Write a Paranormal Novel.

Natalie Hatch said...

Angie where is it?

Just another SAHM said...

Congrats on finishing & how fun does that class sound?? What program is it through? Sounds like something I'd enjoy. ;)