Monday, September 29, 2008

Same Old Arguement

I have an interview with a reporter from a local, neighborhood paper in about an hour. Normally, I LOVE these kinds of things, but for some reason -- maybe its my allergies acting up -- I'm not really looking forward to it. The truth is, I've been interviewed by this person before, when I was writing another genre, science fiction. She had a lot of disdain for speculative fiction.

I can't imagine what she's going to think about my move to romance.

And I get really TIRED of that whole condescending attitude, don't you? I wonder if I need to have the facts and figures at hand to PROVE to this reporter that romance is a force to be reckoned with in the publishing industry? I wonder if I'll have to remind her that authors she respects, like Jane Austin, wrote romances. We only call Austin "literature" because she "transcends" genre by being, what, good? Famous? Dead?

WHAT-ever!

Sorry, it's just I've been having these kinds of discussions ever since I published my first science fiction novel. It's exhausting to always have to legitimize what you're writing... particularly when the people who scoff at it, usually haven't READ any. Or if they have, they judge our books by their covers from the eighties with Fabio and bodices and all that.

*sigh*

No comments: