Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Angels and devils and stormtroopers...oh my!












First off, I have to say that Archon St. Louis was a blast. In case you didn't catch Shirley Damsgaard's post last week, she and I headed into the wild blue yonder to attend one of the biggest (and best) Paranormal/Sci Fi fan conferences that I've ever seen. That's us there on the left. Perky, aren't we?
That's because fan conferences are like a shot in the arm to authors, who tend to spend way too much time in our own imaginary worlds.
Laurell K. Hamilton was the featured guest for three days of panels, signings and mayhem. Oh the mayhem.
See, I haven't even been to the RT conference yet. So this was the first conference I've ever seen with masquerade parties, vampires roaming the hallways and even a werewolf. Check him out above. He tells me that he owns a Shoney's, but wouldn't tell me where. Those werewolves can be a shifty lot.
Highlights included:
  • Giving workshops for some extremely talented writers
  • Telling an Imperial Stormtrooper that I did not, in fact, need extra security at my book signing. Kind of him to offer, yet I wonder if Darth Vader knows he's freelancing.
  • Discussing J.R. Ward with a, ahem, vampire. He had fangs and everything.
But take away all the costumes and the fun and the Mystery Science 3000 folks (yes, I'm a fan), the best part of the weekend was hanging with Shirley. She's one of the neatest authors I know - at a panel, at a signing or just hanging out. Plus, she has some fierce footwear. Check it out if you ever run into her.
And today, while it's great to be home, I do miss the fans, the festivities and the idea of a vampire around every corner. Until next year...

5 comments:

spantalk said...

great blog

Natalie Hatch said...

Angie I want your boots, they look fab. And congrats on making so many new friends, who wouldn't need a StormTrooper or two to hold off the various hordes clamouring for autographs..lol. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Angie Fox said...

You know, I've had those boots for a few years now - way before the cover of The Accidental Demon Slayer came about. When I wear them now, I like to think I'm channeling Lizzie - at least from the knees down.

Natalie Hatch said...

From the knees down... hmm, so when do we get to see the Dangerous Book?

Angie Fox said...

I'm thinking the cover for The Dangerous Book will come within the next few weeks. I hear it's purple, and it (of course) has Lizzie and Pirate on the cover. Hopefully a motorcycle too. We shall see...