Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Goodies for you

I'm happy to report I have a title for my Ava Gray book. It will be called SKIN GAME, and it has a tentative release date of December 2009. How exciting, right? To celebrate, I posted the first chapter on the website. You can read that here.

I'm really excited about these romances. I've wanted to be a published romance author for as long as I've been reading them(and that's a long time). It's a bit ironic that I finally got there via the back door, published in SF&F first, before I sold my first romance. But it's the outcome, not the road I took getting there, right?

How do you guys feel about authors who write across the genres? To date, I write romance, urban fantasy, and romantic science fiction. Will you guys read all those, even if you don't usually, just to see if you like what I do in that genre? If I love an author, I'll usually check out whatever they write. In the foreseeable future, I'll be adding to that resume.

In fact, I think I'll give you a little preview. How does apocalyptic romance sound? You know how people always talking about "post-apocalyptic fiction"? My editor, Anne Sowards, loves that. Well, I'm working on a romance that takes place during an end-of-the-world scenario -- and it totally kicks ass. I can't think of anyone else doing this. I'm not giving any other info on this project, but I fully expect to sell it in 2009, and I expect it to be huge. (You can find updates on this on my blog under "sekrit project". At this point, the first book is half-written.) It's a gorgeous marriage of mythos, world-building, danger, ass-kicking, and hot sex.

I also have a romantic fantasy in the works. It's not urban in the least. I didn't even try to sell it before I was published because fantasy isn't a hot genre. I'm hoping once I'm more established that I'll be able to sell this because it's a wicked tasty riff on Beauty and the Beast. I call it THE OUTCAST KING.

Meanwhile, I have BLUE DIABLO (first Corine Solomon, urban fantasy) releasing in April, DOUBLEBLIND (Jax 3) in October, and SKIN GAME by Ava Gray coming out in December 2009. So that's the year, looking ahead.

So what do you think? Looks good, right? What are your thoughts on the projects I'll be pitching? Would you be interested?

10 comments:

MarnieColette said...

Congrats.

Your apocalyptic story sounds interesting... there will defintely be some conflict for the hero and heroine in that setting.

As for Fantasy - I LOVE FANTASY romance wish there was more out there.

ireadwhat said...

Just read chapter 1, I can't wait for the release!

I find that if I like an author in one genre, I am about 95% sure I'll like the author's other work. I tend to follow authors across genres, so I would read all your work.
:)

azteclady said...

You know I am.

Why else would I be wishing my life away so that the books would be out?

Katie said...

Congrats on getting a title!!

Can't wait for all of your releses next year!!

Brandy said...

I read many authors that cross genres. There is nothing wrong with that! I am very interested in everything you've talked about in this post. *G*

micheleleesbooklove said...

In three years time you'll be the only author I can afford to buy if this keeps up! (Don't let that discourage you ;)

Ericka said...

Congrats! When I find an author I enjoy I am not limited by the genre I first found them in. I am certainly planning on checking out your other books as they are published.

BethRe said...

The Outcast King sounds fascinating

Ann Aguirre said...

I'm very hopeful that we'll sell those two projects, the apoc-romance, and the romantic fantasy (or fantasy romance, depending on your POV).

I would love to write The Outcast King.

MaryK said...

This is a really late comment but hopefully you'll see it.

I particularly like following romance authors across genres because they usually bring a certain something to their characters even when they're not writing romance. And since I really like your voice, I'll look forward to all of your new works. I don't usually care for apocalyptic fiction, but I enjoyed Still We Live so I'm sure I'll like the sekrit project.

Oh, and a wicked tasty Beauty and the Beast? Awesome!!