These past few weeks have been a wild and crazy time, and not just for me, but for the United States as well. Last Tuesday night, like a lot of people, I was glued to the TV set, watching the map of the various states turn either blue or red. I did my part-I cast my vote. Now it's up to those elected officials to straighten it all out.
And while they're all busy deciding how to fix that which is broken, I thought about what can I do in my own life to make it better. I can't fix global warming, all I can do is be a responsible consumer. I don't understand the whole world economy thing, it's enough for me to just balance my checkbook. So what can I do??? Well, I came up with my own "get happy" list. It is as follows:
1. Laugh more. There are days when I get so wrapped up in what I have to do instead of what I'd like to do that my humor slips a bit.
2. Talk to/see my kids more often. They lead busy lives, too, and it seems that a lot of our conversations are more about disseminating information than "Hey, how's it going? Are you doing okay?" AND when I talk to them, remind them more often that I love them and that I'm proud of them.
3. Read the Desiderata once a day. (This would not be hard to do-it's hanging in my office!!) For those of you who aren't a child of the 60's and 70's like I am, check it out...you can find it online. Reading it always makes me feel better and it reminds me not to sweat the small stuff.
4. Quit obsessing about the future, the economy, and everything else that I can't fix and count my blessings. (this one is kind of along the same lines as #3) I have a job, a new book coming out, a roof over my head, and food on the table. Plus my health, and the health of my family, is good. What more could I want, right??? ;)
5. Spend more time with friends. I have great girlfriends and hanging out with them is always fun. (see #1)
6. Show kindness to someone everyday...it lifts my spirits when I know I've helped someone.
7. Minimize the effect of toxic people in my life. You know the type-they bitch, bitch, bitch about everything until your eyes want to glaze over. And don't get me wrong...I'm a great believer in the restorative powers of a good whine now and again, but some can't see the good in anything. Their bad mood brings everyone around them down to their level.
8. Stop once a day and just breath!! (Maybe when I'm reading the Desiderata?? 8) )
9. Play with my dog more.
10. And last but not least, remember that nothing, good or bad, lasts forever. Savor the good and rush through the bad!!! 8)
So how about you?? Anyone else have some "get happy" tips?
See you next week,