Friday, November 7, 2008

Something Wicked welcomes Candace Havens

I’m still on a Halloween candy high, but I’m in the mood to shop for the holidays. The problem with my preparing for the holidays early is that I always end up shopping for me, instead of my family and friends.

Greedy. I know. I begin with good intentions. I’m not picky when it comes to where I shop. I do it online, in malls, boutiques. But it always ends up the same way. Two (or three) for me, one for someone else. (smile)

Case in point: I shopped for gifts to giveaway at my upcoming book signings for The Demon King and I. (If you’re in the Dallas/Fort Worth area come see me.) We have this great little local place, The Funky Monkey, where I find amazing jewelry and purses to give away. Of course, this trip was no exception. There’s just that problem of me not wanting to part with the prizes for my readers. I love everything I bought from the sapphire ring, to the funky charm bracelet. Sigh.

People always ask me why I have these kick-butt chicks in my books who wear fantastic shoes and clothes. It’s an easy answer. I have an addiction and I live vicariously through my characters. I can’t always run out and buy the latest Marc Jacobs swing dress and Christian Louboutins, so I make my characters wear them. It’s a way for me to play dress up without ever having to leave my desk. And I love it. I mean, fashion is small part of the books, but it’s fun for me to have a little here and there.

In The Demon King and I, my lead is Gillian. She’s a corporate executive, art gallery owner and demon slayer. I don’t know about you, but I have don’t have a problem with a woman who is chic, but can also slay some demon butt. I mean really, she’s saving the world and she deserves to look good while doing it.

So I need you guys to tell me if you have the same problem. Do you shop for others but find more for yourself? What’s something really cool you bought for you? Do you have other deep dark secrets regarding the holidays like eating a box of chocolate covered cherries in the five minutes it takes to get home from the drug store. (Did I says that out loud? It’s become a Christmas tradition for me.) Tell me I’m not alone. Share with me.

15 comments:

Margay said...

When shopping for others, I very rarely get something for me, too. I might see something I want and go back for it later, but I usually try to stick to buying for others. Unlike my older daughter, who always manages to get something for herself when shopping for others. She knows how to treat herself right!

SaturnMoonie said...

*Raises hand* Me, I do the same thing. I go shopping and end up buying 3 things for me and 1 for somebody else, I don't mean to really. But this is MY logic, my birthday is on Christmas day (25th) and I get cheated outta presents, so it's up to me to make sure I have both Christmas and birthday presents.

I have learned not to buy friends books, and if I do, I go to the bookstore last because 1. I'll spend all of my money on books for myself, and/or 2. I'll keep the book I bought for someone else. (Oops hehe)

Candace said...

Margay: You are a better woman than me. :-)

Saturnmoonie: Hey, you deserve those presents. My poor cousin has a Dec. 25, bday, so I know how it is. And LOL about the books. That's usually what I end up buying everyone, but goodness I'm really bad about picking out what I want too.

Susan Blexrud said...

I rationalize that my best gifts are frequently ones I've purchased for myself, and then given away. I just sent my college roommate a pair of earrings for her birthday that I'd actually purchased for me. And truly, you wouldn't want to send a gift that was below your standards, right? Right. As an aside, I love your books, Candace, and I'm thrilled that you're the judge for the "Girl Power, Ghouls & Gorgeous Guys" contest, because I'm a finalist. Just knowing you're reading my work is exciting. Thanks so much!

Candace said...

Susan,
Congratulations! Which story was yours?

Katie said...

You are not alone. I am always finding things that I like when I am shopping for other people. The problem is keeping myself from buying things for myself.

My favorite thing I bought for myself is an original painting called, "We Gather Together." It is lovely.

Susan Blexrud said...

My story was Love Fang, the tale of a sexy vampire with an infected fang who falls in love with his dentist. Hope you liked it!

Kestrel said...

I pick up things throughout the year for other people and store them in my closet until Christmas. My parents are in Canada and my sister is in Mongolia, so I have to ship presents at least a month early anyway.

Coolest thing bought for me recently - I'm Candy-like in that I like to buy for me - were anime trading cards from Japan (love the artwork) and a Doctor Who USB TARDIS. It makes the sound whenever you plug in a USB device. I love geek swag. :)

Candace said...

Love Fang? That was a hoot of a story. I can say no more until the announcement. Best of luck to.

Kestrel: I love Dr. Who! BBCA gives us cool stuff from their shows (for the day job) but never from Dr. Who! :-)

Kestrel said...

I also enjoy Torchwood, Life on Mars (original BBC, heard the US version wasn't so hot) and Primeval, so if you want to get rid of some stuff, feel free to toss it my way ... all the more room for stuff you want to buy for yourself. ;)

ps. it's Heidi. Kestrel is my Google account. I didn't realize it was going to reference me as that.

Angie Fox said...

Thanks again for stopping by, Candace! Great post.

I'm good at talking friends into buying things, but not so great at treating myself while holiday shopping. Hmmm...perhaps I need to make an early new year's resolution - have more fun shopping this year.

sidhevicious said...

What, you mean we're supposed to shop for other people too? LOL, Just kidding. I have the same problem when shopping, I either find more things I'd like to get for myself or I buy things for others that I also want.

My "vices" are definitely books and DVD's. I have insanely ridiculous amounts of both in my house. :)

Brandy said...

I see things I'd like while shopping for others all the time, and while I feel a bit sad about it, I don't buy for myself. However, I have told hubs that that sometime next year I'd like a bit of money to spend on just me. Which will be hard! Because I'm the type of person who feels guilty whenever I buy myself something! (Except books.*G*)

Candace said...

I feel guilty too, but I do it any way. :-) DVD's, CD's and Books are my worst impulse buys. I'm so bad!

Kimberly B. said...

I have a friend who works at a bookstore, and has for years. If you've ever worked at a bookstore (and I did for six years---that's how we met) you know that people stopping buying you books as gifts! They assume that if you want a book, you'll buy it for yourself, or at the very least that it won't be a surprise. So every Christmas my friend buys herself a book, wraps it, and puts it under the tree. She won't let herself unwrap it until Christmas! That way she always gets a book for Christmas!
P.S. If you have a friend who works at a bookstore, don't be afraid to buy them a book; if they already have it, they can probably exchange it, and then they have the thrill of picking out another book!