Monday, December 22, 2008

Happy Yule

I hope you all had a lovely Winter Solstice yesterday: the longest night of the year.

My family and I had been invited to a Yule Vigil on Saturday, but the weather here in Minnesota turned extremely nasty. We had about six inches (or more) of snow fall and then temperatures plummeted into the arctic -11 degrees F. Since my son is only five, I decided it was wisest to stay close to home and light our own Yule fire in the chimenea. Mason, my son, LOVED the idea of tending a fire ALL NIGHT LONG, but we all pooped out close to midnight. I brought in a flame from our outdoor fire and lit a candle that we kept burning all night long (and actually we kept the fire going until this dawn, since Yule was officially on Sunday.)

My parents came up from LaCrosse, Wisconsin to spend the day with us. We opened presents and lit the Yule log. We had homemade wild rice soup and french bread fresh from the oven. A good day, and a cozy way to spend the shortest day of the year.

Hope you're having a good holiday, whichever one you might be celebrating (happy 2nd day of Hanukkah!)

2 comments:

Estella said...

Sounds like you had a good time without going out.

Susan said...

All my warmest wishes to you and your family this Holiday Season!