Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Why can't life be like a romance novel? ...Just once?

I was writing the third Accidental Demon Slayer book yesterday when I received a gift every writer loves - a "given" scene. It was one of those times where it unfolded perfectly in my head - everything fit together. It was like I was transcribing instead of writing and it was, to put it mildly, a lot of fun. Some writers have even had "given" books. That hasn't happened to me yet, and frankly, I'm quite happy with days like yesterday.

But that kind of ideal morning comes with a catch. It's followed by real life. Now that scene was between Lizzie and Dimitri, the heroine and hero of my book. Sure they have their issues, but all was forgotten yesterday. He knew what she wanted. She knew what to say. He even took her flying (and, yes, I know that doesn't happen in real life - unless people really do date griffins).

I was telling my husband about it when we were relaxing last night. We'll usually spend an hour or so talking before we go to sleep. So as I'm telling him about this perfect interaction, he steals the covers. Dimitri would never do that. Then my husband answers a phone call. Who calls at 10:00 p.m.? A colleague. Dimitri's werewolf buddies haven't done that yet. And I'm pretty sure Dimitri does his own laundry. And he doesn't wear jeans for two hours in the evening and then throw them in the dirty laundry basket.

Which started me wondering - does romance spoil us for real life? Can we really expect our men to act like a guy in a "given" scene on a given day? And if I do say yes to that, will my husband expect me to look as good as Lizzie in a mini skirt?

4 comments:

Estella said...

My husband wears his jeans until I make him throw then in the laundry basket.
I guess a woman can't win for losing.

Natalie Hatch said...

Oh Angie I totally relate to this. Mine though doesn't talk on the phone he just starts snoring during my spiel. Ah well, and as for the laundry, well since I refuse to pick up after him anymore he's backed off on the dropping clothes everywhere around the house. And he even does the washing for me now. It takes time to train them really.
Wishing you many more perfect scenes.

Angie Fox said...

We need to get our husbands together, Estella. Maybe that would help even things out.

Angie Fox said...

Ohhh, Natalie - I like the training idea. DH and I have been married 6 years now and I've made some headway with reading at night (he now pretends to believe me when I say, "one more chapter." But, alas, we've made no headway on laundry doing or cover stealing. Maybe in another 6 years.