- Buy dry goods and bottled water
- Reinforce your basement
- Install adequate ventilation
- Stock your shelter with plenty of books
- Get a generator
- Make friends with a crazy-eyed survivalist. (It's better if he's hot, as you may be stuck repopulating the world with him later.)
- Shop for weapons with him.
- Learn basic self-defense in case the zombies / aliens / robots get into your bunker. (This does not mean re-watching the first season of Supernatural.)
- Select a fitting soundtrack for your seclusion. (I recommend creepy oldies songs such as those found in Fallout 3, including Way Back Home, I'm Tickled Pink and Butcher Pete.)
- Buy cheap spare clothing on eBay. (You won't be going to the mall for a while.)
- Learn to sew. (See prior point.)
- Embrace gas-mask chic.
Urban survival tools
So now you're ready to stock your shelter. What's going in your emergency kit?