Tuesday, January 27, 2009

New Blood

I finished writing my first vampire story yesterday and I've got to tell you, it was a lot of fun. For years, I've read everything from the Sookie Stackhouse books and MaryJanice Davidson's Queen Betsy to Kresley Cole's Immortals and (of course) Sherrilyn Kenyon. Heck, I skipped class in college for a week when I discovered my first paranormals - Ann Rice's Interview with the Vampire series. Those books were so new, so fresh and they basically started the modern vampire romance genre.

So what took me so long to write one? Aside from liking demon slayers and biker witches, it seemed like there were a lot of vampires out there already. Why not do something else? Turns out, the lure of the vampire was too strong [add your own Dracula bwaaa-haa-haa sound effects here]. They're publishing a sequel to The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance and I was asked to take part.

Ann (from this blog) was also asked and we started PMing each other about the vampire myths out there and what we could do that hadn't already been done.

Ann's finished story is awesome and I think I did pretty good too. But this whole experience has made me pay a lot more attention to what appeals to me about the genre. I like the bad boys, and the idea that eternal life = eternal soulmates. I'm not too sure about how the women always seem to change to become like the men. I really like how different authors create their worlds - some vampires can walk in the light, others laugh at garlic and it gets me every time when holy water thrown in her face makes Queen Betsy sneeze.

For some reason, I like it when the heroes have a tragic past. JR Ward does this so well. I like that they can be reformed and who doesn't go for an eternally gorgeous man? But it makes me curious. If you read vampire books, what appeals to you? And what (if anything) drives you crazy?

11 comments:

Ann Aguirre said...

I can't wait to read it!

The biggest peeve trope for me is the reincarnated eternal mate thing, which seems like it's straight from Dracula / Mina, etc. "Oh, you're my forever bride, who perished in Transylvania, four hundred years ago! Thank the gods i have found you again. Blah blah blah!"

It's kinda tired, imo.

Zed-Aitch said...

What really peeves me is when people expect a vampire to be tall, dark, and anemic. According to most stories, vampires were once human, so they should come in all shapes and sizes, no? And let's face it, if you over ate in life, you'll probably do so in death as well :-)

Zita

Carmen R said...

I love to read vampire novels. One thing that bothers me though is it seems to be that some authors make the male vampires act like cave men. They seem too controlling to me. I have read some that even go as far as the males telling the female they can't be around other men and can't leave the house with out them. I mean get real if some man acted that way towards me 'no matter how good looking he is' I would kick is blood sucking butt to the moon. I figure if a vampire is smart enough to survive through the ages then he should be smart enough not to try and control a female.

Jess Granger said...

Hey Angie!

I can't wait to read this thing. Everyone that knows me, knows I don't have a thing for vampires.

Aside from the blood, I also don't like the control-freak vamps, and I've found I'm tired of eternal soul mates. Granted, once a vamp falls in love, I want it to be a really long forever, but If someone is going to be reincarnated, why does it always have to be 400 years later? You think the reincarnatee would get their booty in gear and get back sooner than that.

Jess

Angie Fox said...

Ah yes - Jess (above) is my critique partner. And she has a blood phobia.

No kidding.

Good thing she laughed when I told her I was doing the next Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance. But you can't have too much blood in a short story, right? Bwaa-haa-haa (yes, for some reason, that word is amusing me today)

Angie Fox said...

And, yes, why wait 400 years for a reincarnated eternal mate thing. I mean, my husband is way more puncutal than I am, but I wouldn't make the guy wait a few centuries.

I never thought about a vampire over eater before, Zita. That's a pretty neat concept. And, you know, that's one of the things Laurell K Hamilton does really well - she shows vampires from many walks of life. Like that second rate gangster turned vampire who has a comb over and bad teeth.

And, yes Carmen - I don't know what's up with the caveman vamps. Like we'd ever put up with that in normal life.

Estella said...

The eternal life angle appeals to me----one man, one woman ad infinitum.
I really think the women vamps should get to turn a mortal they love once in a while.

Natalie Hatch said...

I think it's that forbidden darkness which vampires exude that adds to the attraction we have. The power and passion that they have at their finger tips and the opportunity that maybe you might be the one to tame them. Living on the edge of danger and knowing any minute life could change forever.
I like Terry Pratchett's take on vampires in Carpe Jugulum. They have all these powers but a little old lady can thwart them with a cup of tea. Got to love that.
I'm off to go sparkle in the sun.

Angie Fox said...

Exactly, Estella. That never seems to happen.

And Natalie, I've never read Carpe Jugulum. Is it a series?

Natalie Hatch said...

Angie it's part of Pratchett's Discworld series. I love it.

Angie Fox said...

I'm going to have to check that out. There's something about winter that makes me read more. Maybe it's the whole "cuddle up with a good book" syndrome. Whatever it is, my bookshelf is looking a bit bare.