Thursday, January 15, 2009

Nothing in Particular

Brrr...it's Iowa and the high today is supposed to be a whopping -2 degrees. Yes, I said -2 (and that's the high folks-low is supposed to be -9)!! Get out the longs johns, the wool socks, and the blankies!! If I didn't have to go to work, today would be a good day to hibernate...curl up with a cup of hot tea, a box of chocolates, and read. And what would I read? Well, in addition to my favorite authors, I'm quite fond of "People" and "Us" magazines. Okay, it's more than fond...I read them every week and they're basically my window to the world. If it's not in "People", I don't know about it. (Yeah, it's sad when one looks to an entertainment magazine for news!! 8) ) I'm up on Bradgelina, Jen and John, Jennifer Lopez's latest problems, and where all the stars went to celebrate New Years. (not Iowa-that's for sure!! No, they went some place WARM!)

But the last couple of weeks I've been a little disappointed in my two favorite magazines-instead of the latest dish on the stars, they want to talk about dieting and exercise. Okay, I know diet and exercise are important, but come on...these people work out two hours a day and many with their own personal trainers. So "Have a Body Like Jen"? I don't think so!! Who has that kind of time?? Not me...and the closest I ever get to a personal trainer is popping in my yoga DVD to struggle along and try to imitate what the instructor is doing. But on the other hand, reading about how fit they all are winds up making me feel a little guilty about my own lack of nutrition and exercise.

So what am I going to do? Not read those articles any more? No, one of my goals for the New Year is to improve my lifestyle. And not just for the sake of vanity...I'm going to do it to be healthier. I'm going to limit the chocolate (didn't expect me to give it up completely, did you?) and eat less carbs (btw-I consider popcorn one of the major food groups! 8)) Instead, I'm going to eat more fruits and veggies. I'm going to attempt to get at least some exercise. I may not have two hours a day, every day of the week, but surely I can find twenty minutes during the day to get off my duff and move! I'll let you know how it works...8)

What do you do to stay in shape? What tricks do you use to motivate yourself to live a healthier lifestyle? Just please don't tell me you exercise two hours a day! ;)

Last thing--the winner of last week's give away...Sarabelle. Send me, shirley@shirleydamsgaard.com, your address and I'll get your signed copy in the mail!! And thanks to all the poster's over the last few weeks for participating in THE WITCH'S GRAVE give aways!! We'll be having more later.

Take care, and to all the other Midwesterners out there, stay warm!! See you next week!

Best,
Shirley

5 comments:

Angie Fox said...

They actually closed some schools today here in St. Louis because of the cold. I'm not sure what the temps are (I'm not a big weather watcher) but "dang cold!"

As far as diet/exercise plans, I didn't have any until the other day. One of my friends is organizing our own version of The Biggest Loser. We're all going to weigh in at her work (poor Kimberly) and then report our progress each week. The final weigh-in after six weeks is, again, on the same scale at Kimberly's work.

We're each putting $20 into the pot and winner takes all. The pot is already up to over $300. Naturally, I'm having pizza as I type this - weigh in is in a few hours for me. Think heavy thoughts!

Is that a rock in your pocket or are you just weighing in?

aimdel said...

Hi, Shirley,
I got my winning book and have read it! its awsome! Thanks so MUCH!
About the diet/exercise thing, I'm a die hard couch potato. I'm working on being healthy too! So one of the things I'm doing is making sure there are LOTs of healthy snacks around. One fo the better tricks is to make yourself walk more. Park at the end of the lot and walk further, take the stairs when you can, walk to friends house if they are near. Just try to rely less on your car. Every step counts! As far as food goes, I have a choc addiction as well, but what I've found works is to freexe a bag of mini choc bars (whatever your fav is!) take only two or three out at a time and really savor them. Popcorn is actully a healthy snack!(Light on the Butter) And if you cut up your veggies/fruitss and have them ready to go in the fridge you will eat more of them because you don't have that "It's too much work to get them ready" excuse!
I've been attempting to train for a Walk/Run 5K to benift a charity. It's good motivation to get off my BUTT!

Shirley Damsgaard said...

Hey, Aimdel, so glad that you enjoyed THE WITCH’S GRAVE!! I smiled when I read your comment about popcorn...actually I’m addicted to the Cheetos cheese flavored kind. And no, I don’t think it’s probably low in fat...I did check on the bag and it does have protein!! So that’s a good thing, right?? Lol All joking around aside—thanks for the tips, especially the one about freezing the chocolate. That would stop me from pigging out on them!

One of the things that I’ve been doing, in addition to trying to remember to take vitamins, is to drink a protein shake in the morning before work. I’ve never been a big “breakfast” person, so just chugging down something nutritious works for me. (And believe me...I do chug it! Though healthy, the shake really isn’t all that yummy!)

And do you want to know what my latest exercise plan is? Now don’t laugh...belly dancing!! Not that I’ve done it yet, but there’s a show on FitTV called “Shimmy” and the voice over walks you through the moves as the dancers do them. They start out the moves really slow then pick up the pace at toward the end of the show. I think it would be great for your core muscles. (I hate sit-ups!) I’m waiting to get a DVR recorder so I can record the shows and do them at my convenience. I’ll let you know how that works!! 8)

However, a woman my age gyrating around probably won’t look the best, so all the blinds will be pulled and the doors will be locked. One of my children dropping by and catching their mother “shimming” could scar them for life!! Lol!!

And Angie, for three hundred bucks, I’d put the biggest rock in my pocket that I could find!! Good luck...can’t wait to hear how you do!!

That’s it for now—thanks for the comments!

Best,
Shirley

Lori Devoti said...

Okay, is my invitation to join you all going to be revoked when I admit I try and exercise every day? I used to do spin class (which I loved) and weights, but last fall I started jogging and bought a treadmill. I don't love jogging, but it gets the job done...
And food! It's an obsession of mine. I can name those calories in five crumbs or less...
It's a sickness. What can I say? I was not born with skinny genes.
Lori

Shawn said...

Hi Shirley! I got my book today and wanted to say thanks again! I'm so excited! I've got to go call my mom and brag!