Monday, January 5, 2009

Resolved: Write Every Day

My New Year's resolution for 2009 is to write something on my novel projects every day. I'd really like to write at least a 1,000 words, though 2,000 (given my deadline) would be even better.

For the other authors on this list... how much do you/can you write in a day?

Unfortunately for me, I've never been a really speedy writer. Many moons ago and under a different name, I once did a book challenge that was sponsored by a bunch of speculative fiction writers who'd all attended Clarion Workshop. This was back in the days before the novel in a month gig, and we set ourselves the goal of trying to write 60,000 words in a month. As we say here in Minnesota, I had a heckuva time trying to write that much. In fact, what I ended up producing was pretty much dreck. It's still in my virtual sock drawer. Every once and a while I dust the electrons off it, and try to decide if it's salvageable. I usually come back with the verdict that it's beyond repair. At least not without a total re-write from the bottom up, and the idea just isn't worth that effort.

I guess I tell this long and involved story to illustrate my great fear -- I hope that even though I have to write a lot (fast!) this year, I hope to high heaven it doesn't completely suck! (Or if it does, it hope it "sucks" in a good vampire-y way!!)

1 comment:

Angie Fox said...

I think every writer goes through that at some point. I'm not speedy, either. And at least for me, counting words doesn't work. It feels like walking into a comedy club and deciding beforehand how many times you're going to laugh. Writing has to be an experience and each session is different. Sometimes I walk away with lots of words written, other times, I might only have a page finished but I came up with an amazing new character. Both sessions are a success in my book. As corny as it sounds, it's about being "in" the book.