Friday, January 9, 2009

Something Wicked welcomes Lisa Hendrix


First, a hearty thanks to Wicked Angie for inviting me over. I love play dates, er, guest blogging. It gives me the justification to catch up on favorite blogs (I have to limit myself most days or I'd spend all my time flitting blog to blog) and lets me visit with old friends and make new ones, just like my kids used to do at the park.

It looks like the Wickeds are merrily making resolutions like the rest of America. I don't know why we do this to ourselves all at once, like the lemmings in northern Scandinavia, all headed out to conquer new territory just at the same time the other rodents also head out. We'd all be happier, and likely more successful, taking on these challenges one at a time, as needed, instead of saving them up for this yearly orgy of massive, doomed change and self-recrimination.

Not that I don't join the rush toward the cliff. See HERE and HERE for evidence. But at least this year I only picked a couple of things. In the past, I've made lists of ten or twenty items that I really, really wanted to change, none of which ever got done. It was all just too much, and once I failed on one item, the rest seemed pointless. I'm intending better for myself this year, so I've limited myself to two major goals: finish my next book and drop 40 pounds and get more fit in the next 6 months. Then I upped the ante by announcing them--and my weight, egad--on my blogs and thus setting myself up for possible public humiliation if I fail.

But I have other motivation to help nudge me along.

On the weight/health front: I really want to be thinner for RT in April. IMMORTAL WARRIOR has been nominated for a Reviewers Choice Award for Best Historical Paranormal Romance. If, by chance, I win, I want to go up on stage looking a little more like Candice Bergen (with whom I was once compared by a flirt in a bar, bless his drunken little soul) and a little less like Sophie Tucker. Are any of you Wickeds old enough to remember the magnificent Sophie? I doubt it. She was the Bette Midler of her time, but rounder. See her HERE. Anyway, the only possible way I can get down to fighting weight is to get fit, too, so I'm walking my ass off as I cut carbs.

On the writing front: I have another book coming in June, IMMORTAL OUTLAW, and I desperately want to have my WIP done before I have to go into major promotion mode. I learned this time around that promoting and hitting deadline at the same time is a great way to drive myself into the ground...and put on 10 pounds from stress eating, which is counterproductive to my first goal.

So, as you see, my goals are based on the highest of ideals: vanity and self-preservation. ;-)

So, now it's your turn. Put it on the line. What are your goals, and how are you motivating yourself?
---
Lisa Hendrix is the author of IMMORTAL WARRIOR and the upcoming IMMORTAL OUTLAW (June '09, now available for pre-order at Amazon and other online sellers). You can find out more about the were-bears, were-ravens, were-eagles, were-lions, and other hunky beasts that make up the Immortal Brotherhood at her website, http://lisahendrix.com/, where her January Jumpstart contest is also live right now.

9 comments:

Angie Fox said...

Thanks for joining us, Lisa. Your books are awesome and that RT Reviewer's Choice nomination is so fricking neat. Congrats again!

Natalie Hatch said...

I'm with you on the getting fit and looking svelt on the red carpet (that's my word for the week, I love it). And finishing WIPs is a good goal. I think I'll just have to plod along at this stage.

Lisa Hendrix said...

Thanks, Angie. Want to be my publicist?

Natalie -- Will you be at RT, then? I've never gone before, so I really want to arrive looking good. And I don't want to be worrying about the WIP while I'm there, so I want it under control. Mostly this is about establishing new daily habits which will see me through all sorts of things.

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Lisa,
Sounds like 2009 is going to be a busy year for you. Your books sound great, love the covers.
Good luck with the Reviewer's Choice nomination.
Regards
Margaret

Estella said...

Good Luck with the Reviewer's Choice nomination.
My goal is to eat healthier(leave the chocolate alone) so I can drop some weight.

Lisa Hendrix said...

Thanks, Margaret and Estella, for the good wishes on the nomination.

Those of you who want to join me in losing weight are invited to come on over to New Year, New Ass, my special blog. Share your goals, your hopes, your ideas, your plan. Or just come nag me. :-)

http://newyearnewass.blogspot.com

azteclady said...

Welcome, Ms Hendrix!

I agree with you the wisdom of pacing oneself on adopting resolutions. I'm doing them one by one, as I accomplish them--much more conductive to success, I think (hope)

Lynn said...

Lisa, congratulations on your nomination and good luck with your goals.

It's important for writers to have goals that we strive to reach.

I'm sure by RT that your WIP will be finished and the weight will be gone.

tate hallaway said...

I just wanted to say -- Wow, beautiful covers! (I have cover envy!)