Sunday, February 8, 2009

A Good Roller-Coaster Ride


Hi everyone!

I think my favorite thing to do, quite possibly my very favorite thing to do, is riding roller-coasters.

Oh man. I get chills just thinking about it. It has been a long time since I've been on a good roller-coaster. And I've been on some good roller-coasters. I've had the pleasure of riding some of the biggest, baddest monsters on the planet. Yeah, baby!

I love the sound of the chain clanging beneath you as you climb that hill. I love watching the people in the front dangle over the edge before you crest that hill and plummet screaming down the track. I love the wind in my ears that literally sounds like "whoosh."

My heart pounds, and it feels so good.

Man, I love roller-coasters.

But here's the kick. I love books that are roller-coasters. I love the hard hitting plots that grab you by the throat and don't let you go as your eyes careen over the page because you just can't read fast enough. There's something about an exciting and dangerous plot that makes my heart pound, just like a roller-coaster.

Angie laughs at me. I think she said once that I wasn't happy as a writer unless someone was about to die a bloody death. She has a point. It's not that I'm morbid, or even that I want to drop my characters into peril all the time.

I'm just looking for that rush, that roller-coaster rush. And the very best roller-coasters convince you you're going to die before safely delivering you back to the station. In that way, they're just like a romance. We know we're coming back safe. We know the end is happy. But don't you want the freedom to doubt it? Just for a second?

On a roller-coaster, we're free to fall. That's what I love about Romance.

So let's increase my TBR pile. What are some of the best thrill-ride romances out there?

Jess

6 comments:

Lori T said...

Hi and welcome Jess!

I think two of my favorite right now are the Mercy Thompson books by Patricia Briggs and the Cat and Bones stories by Jeaniene Frost.

I love roller coasters too.

Anya said...

Oh, no, I'm not going anywhere near an actually rollercoaster. Never gonna happen.

However, I DO love books that make me feel like I'm running an exciting race and just can't stop. The most recent book I read that was like this was Games of Command by Linnea Sinclair.

Angie Fox said...

So true, Jess. You aren't happy unless your characters are in peril. It makes for great reading.

One of my favorite series lately is Karen Marie Moning's Dark Fever, Fae Fever and Blood Fever.

Estella said...

Playing Dead by Allison Brennan

Ann Aguirre said...

The Sins of Lord Easterbrook was really good. Madeline Hunter.

Jess Granger said...

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome.

I'll be around a lot more now that I'm back from vacation. And yes, I got to ride some roller coasters. :)

Jess