Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!




Since I began my career writing romance (both historical and contemporary), I can’t let Valentine’s Day go by without at least a passing nod. Yes, there are plenty of people who think of it as a greeting card holiday, and yes, when I see those commercials urging us to buy our sweeties diamonds and cars and such, I’ve got to admit, there’s an element of materialism to the whole thing. But there’s also a sweet side to the holiday, and I’m not talking about the chocolate!

Remember when You had a Valentine’s Day party at school? It was always at the end of the day, and I bet we drove our teachers nuts being antsy with anticipation. We were allowed to handout Valentine’s in class, and my parents made me write one to every single kid in the class, like them or not. I suppose that was a good lesson, though I can still remembering sitting at the kitchen table writing those cards and wracking my brain as I tried to remember who sat where in class so I didn’t leave anyone out.
OK, sure, I’m dating myself. But back then, the Valentine’s we handed out looked like this






Cute and corny.

The Valentine candy we gave each other sure wasn't from Godiva! It was Bazooka bubblegum and those still-around-today conversation hearts. We took their messages seriously, too.
Sure, it was a simpler time, but I don’t think that’s a half bad. Maybe if we concentrated more on silly cards and less on diamonds and cars, we’d all be better off.

And PS, don’t tell my husband, but he’s getting a bag of M&Ms.

6 comments:

Estella said...

Happy Valentine's Day!
I remember well the valentines you passed out in school.

tgase1 said...

We used take shoe boxes and wrap them in foil and put red construction paper hearts on them for our valentine cards.
I think I might still have one in the attic.

Ann Aguirre said...

Happy V-Day!

I went to see a movie with my man. Thank goodness the oldest is old enough to babysit her brother for a couple hours. No more babysitters!

Those valentines are adorable. I love retro.

What's everyone doing today?

Jess Granger said...

I remember that when I was in school, it was a rule that you had to send a card to everyone. I also remember that the card makers had a cruel sense of humor. In every box, there was always that one card that was a thinly disguised insult. (But I grew up in a time where garbage pail kids, and nerds candy cards were popular.) Combine those ones with the slightly cold candy heart messages, and valentine's day was the one day where your popularity was displayed, ranking you on the school-yard totem pole.

Wow, I'm jaded. How did I end up writing romance?

Jess

Jane said...

Happy Valentine's Day. I remember handing out Valentines to everyone so nobody got left out.

Angie Fox said...

Yes, we used to walk to and from school and I remember stopping on the way home to look in our boxes because we just couldn't wait anymore.

Last night was fun - the hubby and I went out for tapas. Yum.