Thursday, February 19, 2009

Inspired?

I know I'm terribly late with my post for today, but hey, better late than never, right??

Anyway, in the past couple of weeks, I've been blogging more than usual, first on Bitten by Books, then yesterday on Romance Junkies and I was beginning to fear I'd run out of things to say, running out of inspiration. Hey, inspiration? Didn't Angie have something to say about cemeteries giving her ideas??? Isn't Pepper Martin a cemetery guide?? Inspiration...cemeteries? Hmm, those two have been connected in my head before, of course in a convoluted way, and before you all quit reading, I'd better get to my point.

Like Angie, I've found inspiration in cemeteries, the one here in Stuart and one headstone in particular. It dates back to the 1880's and is for a little girl who passed at the age of four. Not strange for those times, but here's the weird part...next to her headstone is another monument. It's carved to look like a tree with a branch sticking out. And on that branch is carved a rope, as if a rope swing was attached. The rope twists around the tree and the seat of the swing is carved against the side of the trunk. Etched on the seat is the little girl's name...Donna.

Okay...here's the really freaky part...according to town legend, the little girl died as a result of an accidental hanging while, you got it, playing on a rope swing! Whether or not it's true...I have no idea, but I can tell you that even during summer, in the heat of the day, standing next to that stone will give you goose bumps!!! And I have it on the best authority that if you go out there in the middle of the night, you can hear a child laughing and the creaking of a rope. (Side note: the authority is my oldest son who confessed that, as a teenager, he would take whatever girl he happened to be dating out there so he could do the "don't worry, baby, I'll protect you," bit. And knowing him, it was hopefully while her arms were wrapped tightly around his neck as she screamed in fright! ;) )

A few years ago, this monument was the inspiration for one of my first short stories. And it's something that normally I would never have dreamed of using...but it's just so odd, I couldn't help myself! Here's my question to you-what was the strangest thing that ever inspired you to do something? And I'm not just asking the writers (although I want to hear from you, too!), but everyone. Everyone has had occurrences; situations that inspired (drove?) them to do something that they never expected to do. Let's hear yours!!

Everyone take care and I'll catch you next week!! Hopefully, earlier than today!

Best,
Shirley

3 comments:

Lori Devoti said...

This is easy...alcohol...skinny dipping.
Enough said.

Jess Granger said...

Hmmm, that's a tough one. I can tell you that Soren, my hero from Beyond the Rain was inspired by African weaver birds. I saw some in an aviary at, I think it was the Minneapolis Zoo. Or maybe it was the Columbus Zoo. Well, it was some zoo anyway.

I found it terribly romantic that the birds tried to get the girl by creating the perfect "place" for her.

Jess

Ann Aguirre said...

Something I never expected to do?

Sign books. That never stops thrilling me.