Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Special Guest: An Interview with Larissa Ione

Our guest today needs no introduction, but I'm going to do it anyway because I'm redundant like that. Larissa Ione is an insanely talented author, who is also charming, vivacious and beautiful. (See the picture? She's totally got that sexy librarian thing going on.) If she wasn't such a cool person, I would probably be insane with jealousy because she has the total package.

She writes as half of Sydney Croft, and she also publishes paranormal romances. I cannot say enough good things about the Demonica series. I admit, I scoffed at this particular premise. A demon hospital? Really? But OMG, she makes it work. Her writing is gritty and evocative; she grabs you by the throat, hauls you into the story and doesn't let you go until it's over. So if you happen to have a Larissa Ione book in your hand, don't expect to get anything else done until you finish it.

All that said, she's got a new book out, the second in the series. This one is about sexy brother Shade. My copy hasn't arrived yet and I fried my PDA just last night (which is too bad because I totally intended to get the ebook while waiting for the mail). Now I have no choice but to wait and I have a serious case reader envy for those of you who can run right out and get a copy. Hot cover, right?



Anyhow, to the interview, dear readers.

1) If you had only bacon, bread and peanut butter in the house, what would you make for dinner?

I’d order pizza. What? Is that not an option? Okay, I’m a vegetarian, but I decided long ago that bacon is a vegetable. I even have a T-shirt that says that. *hangs head* As a vegetarian I kind of suck. Anyway, I’m sure there’s a recipe out there that can make some sort of frittata or stew or something out of the things you listed, but I’m thinking...gross. So I’m just going to go with the obvious: toast with peanut butter and a side of bacon. My son would jump for joy. My husband might divorce me.

2) Which of your sexy demon brothers would you most like to go shoe shopping with? Why?

Shade. Because he has a foot fetish. Oh, sure, that doesn’t come out in his book, but it’s one of those things I just know. He’d shove the shoe guy out of the way and help me try on shoes, and he’d give me foot massages, his talented fingers stroking and rubbing...yeah, Shade...

3) If you could wear pajamas ALL the time, what kind would they be? Please describe the color and fabric thoroughly.

If? If??? I DO wear pajamas all the time! In the summer, I wear longish cammy sweatshort things with an olive-green tank top. In the winter, flannel. Lots and lots of flannel! I have red Christmas pajamas and blue duckie pajamas and light blue pajamas with dark blue snowflakes and pink pajamas with bunnies, and even a pair of footie pajamas! My mailman has long since given up commenting. The other day he saw me dressed and thought there was an emergency.

4) What kind of mammal is the cutest? How come?

There is nothing cuter than a kitten. Nothing. And what’s cool about kittens is that when they grow up, they’re still cute! I love cats! Actually, I love all animals, and my husband is well aware than when he retires from the Coast Guard, we’re getting a house with lots of property, because I plan to adopt a bazillion animals. Like kittens.

5) Do you ever dream about zombies? Why or why not?

Zombies? Not so much. Living, breathing humans scare me much more, mainly because zombies are stupid and slow. I mean, seriously — I watch zombie movies and wonder how the hell people get eaten, because really, I could outrun one with both legs tied together.

6) How did you get to be so awesome? Was it a gradual development or did you come into your awesomeness all at once?

Er...I think you sent this interview to the wrong person. Hi...this is Larissa Ione. [interviewer interjection: it was sent to the correct person, but natural modesty prevents her from answering.]

7) What do you want readers to glean from your books, if anything?
The meaning of life. Failing that...I just want them to have a good time.

8) Fill in this one with anything you'd like to say. Feel free to make the question up yourself.

Is it bad that I have no questions? Probably because I haven’t had enough coffee this morning. Coffee, which the Demonica books are fueled by. Well, that and curse words. Because curse words are the lubricant of hard work...

Dear readers, this isn't nearly enough Larissa. Add your questions here, and if she gets time, she'll pop in to answer them. A random commenter will receive a copy of her sexalicious release, DESIRE UNCHAINED. (Please keep questions PG-13; Larissa reserves the right to refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate her or others. Winner announced next Wednesday, no limit on entries, but no spamming either.)

33 comments:

Larissa Ione said...

LOL--OMG, your introduction made me blush and laugh at the same time!

Thanks for having me ladies! I'm going to be heading out to the doctor (damned migraines and neuralgia,) in a few, but I'll be back this afternoon. (At which point I'll climb back into my pajamas...)

Lea said...

Wonderful Interview Larissa and Ann:

No need to enter me in the draw becuse "Desire Unchained", arrived at my home and sizzled in my hands yesterday. Beautiful cover art by the way...

I can't wait to read about "Shade's" foot fetish. lol

Larissa: I know how the premise for "Demonica Hospital", came about for you. But I was just wondering how the demon characters evolved? They are so incredible not only because of their size but also with their intricate tattooing that writhes and changes with the connection to their mate, ood etc. Then there is the metamorphosis that looms especially for the seminus demons if they don’t bond. Did they just come to life on the page for you as you conceived and wrote “Pleasure Unbound”?

Thank you for writing and sharing "Demonica", with us Larissa.

Warm Regards

Jess Granger said...

I've heard all sorts of good things about this series. Is there a place where we can see excerpts? I'd like to check it out.

And how did you get the idea for a demon hospital?

Jess

Ing said...

Talk about some hard hitting questions! LOL! Great interviw very informative!

I just have one question..Ky can I have him? Ask Gem if she'll share..lol!!

Seriously though this is a great series and if anyone hasn't tried her books do it now..lol.

Please don't enter me...I'm off to buy it later today. Congrats Larissa!

Angie Fox said...

Welcome, Larissa! Great interview. Your heroes sound incredibly sexy. I have to get my hands on this series.

Angie Fox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
azteclady said...

Jess, you can read excerpts here

(please don't enter me in the draw, I got the book yesterday)

Larissa, I beg to differ about the cutest mammal thing--have you ever held a baby ferret? And they grow up to be adult ferrets!

(please note at present I have one ferret, three cats and one large dog--one of these decades I'll own a large enough property to add horses to the collection)

WK said...

Hi Larissa! Great interview. Humm a question for you?

How about, do you keep a chart and track all of your characters and their traits, like the foot fetish even if it never makes it into your book? Do you have a dry erase book with story ideas or a notebook where you can jot things down?

Do you find while writing one book that another may come to mind? Or that maybe you'll have something happen in a side plot that you think, hum I could take that make a whole new series?

If you had to pick one book, one movie, and one song that really evoked the feeling of these stories what would they be?

hugs
WendyK

Blodeuedd said...

I am still new all books and authors :) Will sure have a lot of reading to do in the future.

So what would you say to someone that has never read your books yet? Will I fall in love with some hot hero? ;)

Karin said...

Great interview! Larissa, the covers for your books are simply fantastic and so great to look at. What kind of input did you have in choosing your covers?

Jessica Kennedy said...

All of these books are great reads! I've read them all and I'm soooo hoping she'll continue with more of these!

Will you Larissa? Give us more?

No need to enter me. I've got them all!

lrwirum said...

I loved reading this interview. Love the cover of this one. :-)

Larena

Vicki said...

Hi Larissa, loved the interview and now I need to check out the books. They sound yummy, besides who can resist a character name Shade who gives foot massages. :)

Dannyfiredragon said...

Hi Larissa,

great interview. I can hardly wait to read Demon unchained.

Hope your doc will be able to help you with you migraines. Those are really something straight from hell

Cathy said...

Great interview, Larissa. I love your heroes and am looking forward to reading Desire Unchained.

Susan said...

Larissa,
I so enjoyed your answers to Ann's great questions. Kittens are just irresistible! I loved Pleasure Unbound and am looking forward to getting my hands on Desire Unchained.

Do you have a scene in your mind that you haven't been able to fit into one of your stories yet? If so can you give us a hint about what it is?

Ann Aguirre said...

Larissa is so gifted! It's a pleasure to have her here.

Larissa Ione said...

Whew--I'm home! Dr. was about as fun as doctors can be. Some poking and prodding (and not the fun Demonica-prodding from hot demon doctors,) and then a nice, "Let's follow up in five months."

Sigh.

Anyway, you guys have been busy!!! I'll see if I can knock out some answers here...

Lea, (waving madly,) you said: "I was just wondering how the demon characters evolved? They are so incredible not only because of their size but also with their intricate tattooing that writhes and changes with the connection to their mate, ood etc. Then there is the metamorphosis that looms especially for the seminus demons if they don’t bond. Did they just come to life on the page for you as you conceived and wrote “Pleasure Unbound”? "

Great question!!! I have to say, the conception of these guys was mostly pretty immediate. See, to be honest, I'd initially intended to write this series as Erotic Romance, so I needed inherently sexual characters. Incubi fit the bill. So then I needed them to have skills that would serve their species needs but would also make them naturally good at medical work.

And that's how the brothers developed their instincts/skills unique to their species. Later, when I decided that I didn't want the books to be as erotic as originally intended...well, I was already so set on these characters that I didn't change anything.

The tattoos (dermoires," came about because I wanted these demons to be able to recognize each other...since no brothers grow up together, they needed ways to connect -- the "mind" connection is essential, but I thought the markings might be a nice touch, too.

I really had fun creating these guys!

Jess, Azteclady posted a link for excerpts (thank you!) and you can also read long excerpts at the Hachette site by clicking on the cool widgets they made: http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/books_9780446401036.htm

How I came up with the demon hospital...well, one day I was watching an episode of Angel, and he got hurt. One of the gang mentioned that he should go to a hospital, but he's a vampire. So he was kind of screwed. And I started thinking, hmm...what if there was a hospital for guys like that? For vampires and demons and were-creatures? And what if it were run by those same kinds of beings? Sort of Buffy The Vampire Slayer meets ER?

And that's how Underworld General was born! *g* Thanks for asking!

Larissa Ione said...

Hi Ing!!! LOL--thank you! And I'm sure Gem would loan you Kynan! Um...or not...*g*

Thank you, Angie! I have to say, The Accidental Demon Slayer is in my TBR pile! I've heard so many good things about it and am looking forward to reading!

Azteclady--thank you!!! Hope you like my sweet baby, Shade! What? I think he's cuddly...

Love ferrets!!! And yes, baby ferrets are freaking adorable! I want one! And all that property for horses. We are SO having horses when my husband retires!

Larissa Ione said...

Hi Wendy! Lots of great questions!

Okay, keeping track...honestly, a lot of it is in my head. BUT I do have a notebook where jot down important details, and I kept a compendium of all demon species as I used them (which is part of the extra content in the upcoming Passion Unleashed.)

And yes, I do often think of new ideas for other books while working on one! :) What I do is open up a new file and start taking notes or jotting out the ideas so I'll have it for later. I actually have several spin-off ideas for the Demonica world! *g*

Hmm..one book, one movie, and one song that evokes the feeling of these stories...wow, great question! Honestly, I'm not sure. There are a few songs I listen to while writing them...Long Black Train, by Josh Turner, Rest in Peace, by James Marsters from the Buffy The Vampire Slayer soundtrack...actually, pretty much any of the Buffy soundtrack songs!

Can't really think of a book or movie...I'd say Underworld, but I think there's not enough humor -- maybe Hellboy. Or a cross between the two. Yeah, let's go with that! :)

Ann Aguirre said...

Oh man, I LOVE the Hellboy movies. I happen to think the first one has two of the most romantic lines ever spoken on film.

Anyone know the two I mean?

Larissa Ione said...

Blodeuedd, what would I say to someone who hasn't read my books? "Hope you like lots of sex!" *g*

And yes, you'll totally fall in love with some hot hero! I hope. :)

Thanks for stopping by -- you have a cool name, btw!

Karin, thank you! I have to say, I just LOVE my covers. Grand Central Publishing totally spoiled me! I definitely had some input -- mainly with the character descriptions, but what really impressed me was that I wanted the demon caduceus (medical symbol) on the front of the book desperately, and GCP was very cool, very willing to use it!

Thank you, Jessica! I do have two more coming out in 2010, but not sure after that. I might do a spinoff, but we'll see...

Thank you, Larena! Great seeing you!

Larissa Ione said...

LOL, Vicki! Shade would totally give you a foot massage! Eidolon would give you a full-body massage. Wraith would pretty much just bite you. :)

Thanks, Danny. Seriously, migraines just suck!

Thanks, Cathy!!! Hope you enjoy Desire Unchained!

Susan, thank you! And yes, I do have one particular scene that I actually wrote for Wraith's book, Passion Unleashed, but it didn't make it into the final copy. It's very dark, very gritty and grim. Wraith had a hard decision to make, and he decided to go self-destructive, ending up in a demon drug/blood/sex den.

It's a very raw scene. Since it didn't make it into the book, I'm going to be posting it on my site in a deleted scenes file. :)

Larissa Ione said...

Thank you, Ann!!!

And sadly, I don't know what lines you're talking about. :( I'll blame the migraine meds...

Ann Aguirre said...

Quote 1:

[talking to Liz, re: his appearance]
Hellboy: I wish I could do something about this. But I can't. But I can promise you two things. One: I'll always look this good.
[Liz laughs]
Hellboy: Two: I'll never give up on you... ever.

When he tells her that, with such focus and intensity, I get shivers. How could you NOT want that?

Quote 2:

Liz: In the dark I heard your voice, what did you say?

Hellboy: I said, "Hey, you, on the other side - let her go. Because for her I will cross over, and then you'll be sorry!"

That last one, omg. His ferocity. A hero who will go to hell for you, fight, WIN and bring you back? Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

Greta said...

Larissa

I just wanted to drop by and say hi and that I can wait for your book.

My question for you is what are your feelings about reader blogs and guest author appearances?

Sejal said...

Ooh fellow pajama mate! I totally understand! Why would I dress up in my own home anyway? Love the interview! Ok ebook is taking too long to arrive so I might just have to shuck my jammies and get out to a bookstore and glom Shade's book! I love the Demonica world! Larissa you are hilarious! *Bow down to the master*

Edie said...

Terrific interview! And I love the idea of a demon hospital. That's brilliant!

Jane said...

Congrats on the new release, Larissa. Are there any other genres you would like to try writing?

Lori T said...

Hi Larissa and Ann~

Great interview! You had me laughing out loud and I love that your mailman knows you well enough to not be alarmed by the pajamas but to be concerned that if you are fully dressed there must be an emergency.

You do not need to enter me in the contest as I picked up my copy today!

Larissa Ione said...

Ann, I replied to the Hellboy lines last night, but my response must have gotten eaten. Anyway, I remember those lines now! LOVE the second one!

Hi Greta!!! Good seeing you! My feelings about reader blogs and guest appearances? I love them! Both! Okay, I do tend to be a bit of a hermit, so I don't generally come out and play at reader blogs on a regular basis (I always worry that I'll say something stupid.) But once I step outside my comfort zone, I'm usually okay!

Sejal--LOL! Thank you! Hope you find the ebook soon! I'm not sure when they are releasing it. :(

Edie, thank you! I have to say, I can't believe no one thought of it before I did. In fact, the second it hit my brain, I started writing because I was just sure that someone was writing an underworld hospital and would get the proposal out before I did! *g*

Thanks, Jane! And yes, I want to write science fiction -- a Star Trek novel, to be exact. I'm hoping to start one this fall!

Lori, you doll! Thank you for buying the book! Hope you like Shade's story! :)

Sejal said...

Hi Larissa!

Found out when the ebook is being released - March 1st at 12am. Well it's a good thing that I have 2 books to distract me while I anticipatingly (which is apparently not a word but I'll use it anyway) await. Just picture me on at 12am Sunday in front of my computer gleefully d/l Desire Unchained.

Hmm I think I'll reread Pleasure Unbound beforehand. Wonder how Shade is gonna make up to Runa. And here I brushed aside Runa. Gosh I wanted to smack Shade for betraying the poor girl.

See how these peeps are alive to me? Brilliant. Before you know it, you will have to write a Reader's Guide for all us poor folks who want more, more, more. I anticipate (my fav word apparently... next to apparently) it. ;P

Dr Aliu Shadira said...

$$$ Loan apply now with 3% interest rate for more details $$$
Are you looking for a Loan to enlarge your business? Do you need loan to pay off your debt and start a new life? You have come to the right place were we offer Loans at a very low interest rate of 3%. Interested people/company should please contact us via email for more details and get funded.
Email: shadiraaliuloancompany1@gmail.com

Application For loan.
First Name:
Last Name:
Date Of Birth:
Address:
Sex:
Phone No:
City:
Zip Code:
State:
Country:
Nationality:
Occupation:
Monthly Income:
Amount Needed:
Duration:
Purpose of the loan:
E-mail address:

Email: shadiraaliuloancompany1@gmail.com