Thursday, February 12, 2009

Time to Howl?


It's been one heck of a week...you know the kind...one thing after another? It seems like I've spent most of the week putting one fire out after another and that everything I've touched has turned to...umm...mud! I was perplexed as to why I've felt like a black cloud has been hanging over my head. Then I looked at the calendar-it was a full moon last Monday-and all became clear! You see, I've twenty-nine years of working with the public and I'm a firm believer that things get weird around the time of a full moon. Things will be sailing along quite nicely, then BAM-full moon-and we're off on a little ride(as my mother used to say) to hell in a hand basket. (Oh, and to top it all off...a black cat crossed my path yesterday as I was on my way to work. But, since I write about witches, I tend to see that as a good omen! Lol)

Do we have any other believers out there? If so, what's the weirdest thing that's ever happened to you during a full moon? I need to know that I'm not the only one who experiences trying times every twenty-eight days!! 8)

Now for the winners of last weeks contest...they are...Marlyn, Jane, Bloeduedd, macbeaner, Saturn Moonie, and Renee! Please shoot me an email, shirley@shirleydamsgaard.com, with your address and the title of which "Ophelia and Abby" that you would like to receive and I'll get them in the mail to you! That's it for now-everyone have a great upcoming weekend!

Best,
Shirley

P.S.
Don't forget to check out Bitten by Books tomorrow for my interview-we're giving away ten copies of THE WITCH'S GRAVE!

8 comments:

Natalie Hatch said...

Working in the emergency department we dreaded Saturday Night Full Moons. That's when even the orderlies would cringe. The amount of bizarre behaviour was phenomenal. I am sure that it's built into the human psyche to go silly when the moon is full.

Blodeuedd said...

Yay, a book :D This made my day, especially since I was unlucky enough to catch the flu.
Congrats to the rest too :)

I love the full moon, but it does make it hard to get to sleep.

Angie Fox said...

My mom is a nurse on the afternoon/evening shift. She swears things go wonky on the full moon. I was telling that to a crime author who has an ER background and she wholeheartedly agreed. Both of them also swear that things (like deaths) happen in three's.

When I worked in advertising, I didn't really see it. Then again, my coworkers and clients were a little wacky anyway.

Ann Aguirre said...

My favorite full moon is the one where it hangs all spooky and orange in the sky. Is that the hunter's moon?

zabet17 said...

I'm a teacher and I can definitely attest to the power of the full moon to bring on the crazies. Especially when they come on Fridays. Students that are normally fairly calm (or worse - the ones who are normally a little crazy) go stark raving mad. This week two of our boys got suspended for fighting and several of the teachers lost it because we discovered that "someone" is stealing food from our staff room and offices at night.

Erica said...

I once edited a study on full moon madness for a veterinary science journal :)

The conclusion was that in this one particular animal emergency room, weirdness happened with equal frequency no matter what the moon phase, despite anecdotal evidence from the staff that full moons were definitely the wackiest time of the month.

Eh. Statisticians. No imagination :)

Angie Fox said...

Interesting! Now I'm wondering how you scientifically define "wacky."

Casey said...

My dad was a cop and the least likely person you could ever meet who would let his imagination run away with him. Yet he always said the full moon brought out the craziness in people. As for me...when the moon is full, I set my tarot cards on the windowsill. The full moon light recharges and cleanses them.