Monday, March 30, 2009

Again! Again! Again!

Okay, so I don't know how many of you out there are hockey fans. I really enjoy college hockey. I can't believe I'm admitting that because it will give my darling hubby greater will to pester me to watch the game with him. I like to use that time to write.

Anyway.

I also enjoy movies about hockey. There aren't many to choose from, so it's pretty easy to pick a good one. After getting the second round of revisions back from my critique partner, I feel like I'm in the movie Miracle.

If you haven't seen it. It's the story of the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team. In the movie, the coach gets mad at the players because they aren't taking training seriously enough and decides to teach them a lesson.

He makes them run a grueling drill, over and over and over, until they're broken but they finally get what they have to do to win.

As I get my revisions back from Angie, I can't help feeling like she's channeling Coach Brooks just a little bit. Some scenes are really difficult, and even when they're working, she pushes me, again, again, again.

I need that. I need it to be more than an ordinary writer. I need a standard that is about five levels above my exhaustion, my insecurity, and my laziness as a writer. She pushes me beyond my first instinct of what is good enough.

And that is why I don't think I could do this without her.

Everyone needs a push, otherwise we settle for what is good enough, and we never reach that breakthrough.

So who pushes you? In what ways do you need pushing?

Jess

4 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Mmmm. College hockey. I used to go to games at Bowling Green and come home, turn on Hockey Night in Canada (the end of it, anyway) and write. There's something about the rhythm of a hockey game that's very conducive to writing.

Or maybe that's just me. At the time, I was learning to play (and coach) hockey. I was sort of infused with the sport.

Jess Granger said...

Hockey is great. But I haven't gotten into pro hockey. I like college. It is such a fast and fun sport to watch.

Jess

Angie Fox said...

I was in Wheeling West Virginia about 10 years ago for a business meeting and they took us to see the local minor league hockey team. It was really neat - a lot more crunchy and in-your-face. When I go see pro, I can usually see the beer advertising a lot more clearly than I can see what's going on down on the ice.

And for the record, Jess, I'm glad you're comparing my critiquing to inspirational hockey rather than, say, the salt mines of Endor.

Jess Granger said...

Well, that too. LOL

Jess