Saturday, March 14, 2009

Happy St. Pat's!

St. Patrick's Day weekend means big goings-on in our family. We've got relatives who play in a bagpipe band. Need I say more? There's a huge family party, and our part in it is making the colcannon. For those of you who don't know, that's an Irish dish: mashed potatoes with steamed cabbage mixed in it. Because we're kale fans, we add some of that, too.

Now when I'm talking colcannon, I'm not talking about a bowl of the stuff. Or even a casserole full. We'll peel, boil and mash 35 pounds of potatoes for the dish, then add another 15 pounds of cabbage, a few pounds of kale and at least 4 pounds of butter. I am not a math person, but even I know that's a whole bunch of colcannon!

The good news is that folks at the party look forward to our contribution every year, and we look forward to being able to share it.

So Happy St. Pat's Day! (Just a little early.)



This seems the best holiday to share photos from my recent signing at the Great Lakes Brewing Company in Cleveland. We called it "Boo and a Brew," and we had a great time!














Here I am with Tracy, a fan who drove in all the way from Tiffin, Ohio for the event. That's my friend, Mary, peeking out from the right side of the photo. Mary's been a writing buddy ever since I attended my very first RWA meeting, oh so long ago!
Casey with Pat Conway, one of the owners of Great Lakes Brewing. I'm not a beer drinker (I much prefer wine--or vodka, but it has to be Polish), but I'm told their beers are mighty fine.


What could be better than this? Two handsome guys helping me advertise my latest book!

5 comments:

Jess Granger said...

Great Lakes makes some fine beer.

Mmmmm,

Life will be good when I get back up to Ohio. The signing looks like it went really well.

Happy St. Pat's

Jess

Casey said...

When did you live in Ohio, Jess? And where are you now? Are you coming back?

I guess I'm in a questioning mood this morning!

moonduster said...

Colcannon sounds really similar (but not the same) to the English dish "Bubble & Squeak."

Jess Granger said...

I'll be back up in the Dayton area this summer, just in time for the release of Beyond the Rain. I'll miss the Gulf Coast, but I loved Ohio, and it will be good to be back.

Ann Aguirre said...

That sounds like a lot of fun. I must admit, on St. Pat's I start hankering for Shepherd's Pie. Looks like you had a great time.