Monday, March 2, 2009

Randomosity of March

Usually, I don't put a lot of stock in things like Facebook. Oh sure, I have a page and I probably go there once every so often and accept friends and ignore invitations to play Internet games, but every once and a while randomosity (or maybe synchronicity?) strikes.

Today, for instance, is my day to work on the project my alter ego is under taking for a small press. It's a prequel to "her" science fiction novels, and it follows a character who lives in Egypt, Cairo to be specific. I have been STRUGGLING for the last several months to get a good sense of what Cairo is like via books, memoirs, and Internet sites galore. Well, out of the blue today, what happens?

A fan of my alter-egos work friends me. Normally, this is not cause to celebrate... but THIS fan lives in CAIRO!! I emailed him instantly to ask if he'd be willing to talk via email about his city, so I could FINALLY get a good sense of that that place is like for a native.

Hooray!

And, in a kind of similar vein, I just read a really great memoir that's completely unrelated to anything in my life, other than my Witchcraft. It's a book that appears to be out of print (no surprise as I got it out of my local library), called THE RED-HAIRED GIRL FROM THE BOG by Patricia Monaghan. If you're interested in Goddess cultures, Irish history -- or really anything Irish, or are planning a trip there, I totally recommend it as a great read. I read in three days, which is a rather astounding feat for someone like me, who is mildly dyslexic and for whom reading, though a pleasure, is often a bit of a struggle. Anyway, how this relates is this: I had a flash last night that what my novel (which I have been struggling with for months and months and months) might need, in terms of structure, is to try setting it up as though it were a faux memoir by the main character. I've never attempted anything quite so meta-fictional, but it may be just what I need as in memoir form I'm not necessarily bound to write the book strictly chronologically.

It could be the key.

March is coming in like a lion for me. How about you?

3 comments:

Angie Fox said...

Ohhh...I hope some of that synchronicity rubs off. Right now, I'm just glad I survived the imp invasion this morning. Nasty little buggers.

Jess Granger said...

LOL, there's always something wild in Angie's world.

March is coming in like a frost lion here. It was really windy and cold. I can't wait for spring.

Jess

Ann Aguirre said...

I'm slogging through the tough middle bits.