Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Why they call it fiction

Happy St. Patrick's Day! To celebrate, I thought I'd show you the brand spanking new cover of my upcoming Halloween anthology. Yes, yes, I know it's not quite the season, but who knows? Maybe there's a leprechaun hiding behind the industrial rail system on the left. If not, well, the sexy vampire is wearing a green dress. That counts.

Both Ann and I have stories in the Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance 2. According to the cover, the stories are about, "hot blood, midnight pleasures and inhuman passions," which frankly, I need to write about because fiction is so much sexier than real life.

Case in point? My daughter brought home a caterpillar last week. It's part of a school assignment where we learn about nature and responsibility for the next month or so.

They sent a sheet home explaining how to take care of said caterpillar, and the butterfly - until we release it on Easter. Maddie was thrilled for about five minutes - the time it took to name Daisy the caterpillar and find a bright, yet not too sunny spot for it in the kitchen. A spot that is low enough for Maddie to see her pet, but high enough so that her two-year-old brother doesn't decide to give Daisy a ride in his plastic Wonder Pets fly boat.

Everything was fine, until the caterpillar escaped. How? I have no idea. I know I didn't take the lid off, my husband forgot we even had a "pet," my son can't reach it. Maddie, of course, claimed the fifth. Luckily, speed isn't one of Daisy's strengths and we returned her to her little plastic cage. She didn't even protest when I re-enforced the lid with tape. And a small rock.

So now she's weaving her cocoon, happy as a pupae and I'm left wondering how I can write about hot blood, midnight passions and inhuman pleasures when I don't always know how to handle furry, slightly squishy things in my own life. I suppose that's why they call it fiction.

8 comments:

moonduster said...

A caterpillar escape? LOL!

Angie Fox said...

Yes. Lucky for me, they are not fast. Unlucky for me, they are hairy and wiggly. Ew.

Jess Granger said...

You'd be surprised at how persistent they can be when they need to build their chrysalises.

I've found ones from my garden on the eaves of my house, and even one who decided the space between the screen and the garage window is nice.

I love spring.

And caterpillars are cute, Angie. LOL, especially the fuzzy ones.

Jess

Angie Fox said...

Okay. Maybe Daisy is kind of cute. In a long and furry kind of way.

I'll know I'm hooked if I start talking to her. That's what happened with Dorothy McFish and it was all downhill from there.

Jess Granger said...

Poor Dorothy.

Jess

Ann Aguirre said...

Oooh, you posted the cover. Awesome! I should add it to our slideshow.

But dude, our kids are in sync. My son named the dog Daisy when we first got her. *g*

Casey said...

Great cover! Congratulations, ladies!

Just Another SAHM said...

lol Run away caterpiller at Angie's house!

Looking forward to the release of your anthology!