Thursday, April 2, 2009

Are you a winner?

bingoSome people just seem to be winners. I am not. I can count on one hand the things I have won---Bingo at the Holiday Inn at the Lake of the Ozarks when I was nine, a book from a Brava authors chat, MAYBE one scratch off lottery ticket, and that is about it. And I do enter things. The literacy raffle at my local chapter's annual conference has become almost a joke to me. I'm hopeful. I buy $10 or $20 worth of tickets. I even try to size up the competition and go for bags with fewer tickets in them.

But do I win? Have I ever? NO. And to add insult to injury there are always a number of people who win like five basket--seriously...It is insane.

So, I am not a winner.

Are you?

Have you noticed this phenomena too? What makes some people completely lucky and others black holes of loss? Is there a trick? Should I be bending one corner over another before I drop the ticket into the bag? Should only wear red socks or green underwear on days I want to win? Or should I pull out my old rabbit's foot--which we all know wasn't lucky for the rabbit at all.

What are your tricks? Are you a folder or do you put your entry sheet in flat? Do you send in a colored post card, or stick with white? Do you have a method for picking your lottery numbers or do you let the machine?

What? What am I doing wrong? I really want to know.

Side note (okay sneaky promotion) for those of you feeling lucky. I'm hosting a 30 day promotion called a Full Moon of Werewolves on my personal blog. I'm giving a way $100 in werewolf books, five copies of Guardian's Keep and a copy of Midnight Cravings. Plus many of my guests are giving away books too. To enter you just go to my blog and make comments on as many Full Moon posts as you like. Here's the schedule with more details. And here is the link to pull up all the Full Moon posts. Be a winner! Stop by!

(Do you like how I started this out as a totally legitimate blog post and twisted it into total pimpage?) But hey, you can win free stuff!

5 comments:

Carmen R said...

I have no method to trying to win things and my luck is just so so. I go through spells where I'll win a book and then nothing for months. I just enter for the fun of it. I've already been at you place trying my luck.

Jess Granger said...

I remember a time when I used to think I never "won" anything. It was probably true, I hardly ever won things like raffles or prizes.

I remember really wanting to win when I was a child, but I think my feeling of loss came from jealousy for the person who did win.

It seemed like it was easy for them to win. It could have been me just as easily.

And if I did win, I always diminished my prize somehow. "Oh, I just won a t-shirt, not the trip to the Bahamas. Darn, what a waste." Instead of "Hey, free t-shirt!"

I don't play these sorts of games much anymore. I still play poker, and have been known to pull a slot or two, but I'm not real concerned about the results.

Win or lose, the question is, did I have fun? Did I give my money to a good cause? Did I play my cards as well as I could? Did I attempt a bluff, just to mix things up, because I don't do it that often?

I feel lucky in life. I've got a great family, a loving spouse, beautiful kiddos, sweet pets, a pretty garden, and as my Great Grandmother used to say, "A roof over my head and dry socks."

I'm happy, so I don't rely much on luck. I just count my blessings.

azteclady said...

Pimpage is always good and legitimate, but it's always better when done with flair--you win, Ms Devoti!

You know, up until February last year, I hadn't won anything in my life. Not one single solitary thing. None. Nothing. Zilch. Rien. Nichts. Nada. Nihl.

Then I got a book from lisabea's blog, then I got Ann's Grimspace, then...

Since then, I've won (been given) *mumblebooksmumblestuffmumble*

But I really can't help you with the "how"--as far as I know, Lady Luck suddenly discovered me.

Have a great weekend!

Raonaid Luckwell said...

I remember joining every contest I ran across for three years without any luck. It made me think I never "won" anything. That changed recently. Of late, I have a 50/50 chance, mostly towards ebooks than paperbacks.

I remember winning five to six or seven times one month. My luck stems towards books than anything else now.

However, no matter how many times I win, I am always still shocked as heck about winning. Stupidfied that I actually won. My friend commented once "You've been winning a lot lately but you still get shocked when you get the email/announcement that you won."

Starfire said...

I've always been a 'never win anything' person, but since I started entering book competitions on various blogs I read, I've won two books in the past month, so maybe that's changing?

I'm not entirely sure how or why the winning should suddenly be happening, but I think it's very cool, and am just kind of enjoying it while it lasts.