Thursday, April 16, 2009

In English, Please!

I don’t know about you, but I’ve been reading the headlines a lot lately and except for the new "first dog" in the White House, none of them are all that cheery!! I did a little research and came across other real life headlines, and I definitely found them more amusing than the ones that I’ve been reading lately. They are as follows:

“If strike isn't settled quickly it may last a while”
“War dims hope for peace”
“Police begin campaign to run down jaywalkers”
“Cold wave linked to temperatures”
“Drunks get nine months in violin case”
“Eye drops off shelf”
“Man is fatally slain” (I’m going to think about that one every time I’m tempted to write the words “dead body!”)

And my favorite!!
“Organ festival ends in smashing climax” (Must've been some party!)

Which one is your favorite??? 8)

That's it for now...I'll catch you all next week!

Best,
Shirley

5 comments:

Natalie Hatch said...

A smashing climax? Wow.

Blodeuedd said...

“Drunks get nine months in violin case”

What? Those are too funny and strange :)

moonduster said...

LOL! Those are too funny! :)

Starfire said...

*laughs* - these are great, aren't they? A couple of other ones that tickled my funny bone from http://jn10.co.uk/stories/newspaper-headlines.php:

- Lack Of Brains Hinders Research

- Policeman Help Dog Bite Victim

- Four Battered In Fish And Chip Shop

- Dog Attacks Rocket

- Ban On Boxing After Death

- Prisoners Escape After Execution

- Jury Suspects Foul Play In Death Of Man Shot, Burned & Buried In Shallow Grave

- Thieves Steal Burglar Alarm

Shirley Damsgaard said...

I'm glad you all enjoyed them!! And Starfire, I love the one about the man shot, burned, and buried in shallow grave. Foul play?? Duh--ya think??? It kind of makes you wonder if they ever read them aloud before they publish them, doesn't it!! Maybe they all need copies of "Eats Shoots and Leaves"!