Thursday, April 23, 2009

Quirks and other Habits

Recently someone commented that I was quirky and it got me thinking. I guess I am kind of quirky and these quirks are most apparent when it comes to my habits as a writer. They are as follows:

1.Time of day-early morning, preferably when it's still dark outside. Why? I don't know...just something about being alone with my characters, in the dark, with only the glow of the computer screen lighting the room. To me, it's somehow more personal, more intimate.
2.Clothing-nothing confining, the looser, the better. Sweats, baggy t-shirt, and socks (no shoes). In the winter, a hoody is added to the above ensemble. And yes, I do have a "lucky" t-shirt that I'm prone to wear when I'm stuck or have written myself into a corner!
3.Hair-twisted up and held with a clippie.
4.Place-in my office surrounded by my "stuff." Crystals, candles, and books, with a cup of coffee on the right side of my computer screen and my amazonite egg (the Writer's Stone) within easy reach. I can do brainstorming in other locations, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty, I seem to write better when I have my things around me.
5.Sound or no sound?? Sound...a radio turned low to a local "goldie-oldie" station.

Okay, so those are my top five quirks...yes, I have more, but I'll share those some other time! 8) How about you...any quirks? And they don't have to pertain to writing. Just anything that you have to do the same way every time...come to think about it, is that the definition for obsessive compulsive disorder???? Whatever 9)...personally I like "quirks" better!!!

Everyone have a good rest of the week and I'll catch you next Thursday!

Best,
Shirley

4 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

I am so not an early morning person :)
Hm dunno what quirks I have

JenB said...

How funny that you posted on this topic today! I was just reading a book last night that discussed different types of writers, and one of them was the "neurotic writer". The neurotic writer is most likely to develop quirks and find him/herself wrapped up in the "process" of writing. The book discussed how that can help or hinder an author's ability to get anything accomplished.

The book is called The Forest for the Trees by Betsy Lerner. It's a book about authors from an editor's perspective. Very interesting and helpful.

zabet17 said...

When in a car, I always tap the ceiling (roof? whatever) whenever we go through a yellow light. I don't remember when I started doing it or why (no one else in my family does). It's just my way of negating the bad luck from going through a yellow. Kind of like spilling salt and then throwing it over your shoulder.

Casey said...

Not sure this qualifies as a quirk or it's just me being careful (and maybe that's what makes it quirky), but when I bring home something old from an antique store or a friend's house, I sprinkle it with sea salt before I bring it inside--just so no "uninvited guests" tag along.