Thursday, April 9, 2009

Switcheroo


We have a guest!! Join me in welcoming Jennifer Estep!

By day, Jennifer is an award-winning features page designer for a daily newspaper with a wide range of media and journalism experience. By night she's an author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea. Her books have been featured in Cosmopolitan, Entertainment Weekly, Southern Living, and other publications.

I always have a great time hanging out with Jennifer! And so will everyone on Something Wicked! So without further ado...here's Jennifer!!!


Greetings and salutations! First of all, I want to say thanks to Shirley for inviting me to guest blog today. Thanks so much!

Second, let me tell you a little bit about me, since I'm sure you've never heard of me. :

I write the Bigtime paranormal romance series for Berkley. The books - Karma Girl, Hot Mama, and Jinx - all take place in the fictional city of Bigtime, N.Y. It's a town that's full of sexy superheroes, evil ubervillains, and lots of smart, sassy gals looking for love. The series is very campy, zany, and just plain fun.

But starting next year, I'm switching gears a bit. In 2010, I'll have three books out in a new urban fantasy series from Pocket. My Elemental Assassin series focuses on Gin Blanco, an assassin called the Spider who runs a barbecue restaurant when she's not busy killing people. The first book, Spider's Bite, will be out in February.

And I have to admit I'm a little nervous about it. I think all us writers are nervous about the economy these days and the impact it's having on our sales.

But I'm even more worried about switching genres - and how readers will react. Because while my Bigtime books are campy fun, my Elemental Assassin series is much darker and grittier, with tougher language and more violence. What can I say? It's really hard to write a book about an assassin without violence.

But will readers like the grittier voice and focus on one character? Will they see the good that I do in my main character, Gin? Will they enjoy the dark, gothic Southern setting with its giants, dwarves, vampires, and elementals? These are the things that keep me up at night.

As an author, you hear horror stories about readers who vow never to read an author again because she switched genres on them. But I like reading authors who write more than one thing. I like seeing how their voice translates from historical romance to paranormal, or from a sci-fi space opera to a contemporary women's fiction book.

And I really like writing in different genres - I think it helps keep my work fresh and fun. For example, I've written another urban fantasy that's a takeoff on the spy genre (think James Bond and Alias with magic), and I'm working on a young-adult, epic fantasy book that's a twist on the Robin Hood legend.

So I just hope that my readers will follow me into the dark, gritty world of Gin Blanco - and wherever else my muse might take me. :

What about you guys? Do you read authors who write in more than one genre? Who are some of your favorites? Leave a comment for a chance to win a copy of Karma Girl, the first Bigtime book.

12 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

I am sure some of my fav authors cross genres now and then. Nothing wrong with that, more fun this way :)

But I can't say much more when I haven't read that much yet, but I am curious about Aguirre's books since I read her latest and how do she write sci-fi then :)

Jess Granger said...

Welcome to the blog! Just adding my support.

While you'll get people who might be upset, you'll also find other readers in a new niche that never would have picked your other books up, so it comes out in the wash.

Great books are great books. I'm sure this new series will find its feet.

Jess

jenniferestep said...

Thanks for stopping by, guys!

I do think my new urban fantasy series will appeal to paranormal romance readers -- and perhaps have some crossover appeal to more fantasy readers.

Who knows? The series isn't coming out until next year. Maybe by then, the economy will be better and folks will be buying books again. I've got my fingers crossed on that count! :-)

donnas said...

Thanks for posting. I have had your series on my wishlist.

I do read authors that cross genres. If I like their writing and the book sounds good I will read it. Its all about liking the writing style and storyline for me.

bacchus76 at myself dot com

jenniferestep said...

My books are on somebody's wishlist? That's cool! :-)

Me too. One of my favorite authors who writes in more than one genre is Lisa Kleypas -- and I love her contemporaries even better than her historical romances.

Angie Fox said...

It's great to see you here, Jennifer. I think most readers like to read a variety of genres. I know I can't just read one type of book.

Congrats on your success with your current series and we're looking forward to the next one too.

Casey said...

Welcome to "Wicked," Jennifer. Sounds like you've got a great series going, and another one coming up. I look forward to reading them!

Pissenlit said...

Oh ya, I totally read authors who've switched genres or who write in more than one! I've followed some from one genre to another and others, I've picked up from their second genre.

sarabelle said...

I will read anything that a writer I really like writes, such as Delilah Devlin, Anya Bast and many others. I will read any genre that I finds strikes my fancy at the time. I do have a big habit of finding a new author and then digging up as much of their material that I can.
Congrats on your success and I look forward to reading your work.

macbeaner said...

I've read authors different genre books a few times. Always interesting to read different series :)

Great post! Thank yoU!

michelle said...

It may depend on the genre, but generally yes, if I like an author I'll try their other works.

I kinda lump urban fantasy and paranormal romance together as generally paranormal so it wouldn't be a big leap for me. That would be the easiest crossover. Going to something else that isn't paranormal would be a harder leap.

jenniferestep said...

Everyone, thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment, and thanks to Shirley and the rest of the Something Wicked authors for having me here. :-)