Thursday, April 2, 2009

Time Management


I am behind!! Not just a little bit, but a lot!! I have a file on my computer marked "to go through" and it just keeps getting bigger and bigger!! To some of you who read this blog, your name's in there. It's a file for all of you who've won books and it's listed under "Need to get these in the mail...NOW!!" I apologize for my tardiness, but I'll get to them this weekend, I swear!! And speaking of winners...I've four more to add to my list-zabet17, Blodeudd, Jane, Marilyn, and a bonus winner, Diane P.. (It's only fair, Diane, since we needed to consider the time deferential!! 8) ) Send me (shirley@shirleydamsgaard.com) your address and I'll get them in the mail next week...promise!

Okay, so how am I going to get caught up? Many years ago I took a class through work on time management and one statement has always stuck with me... "Everyone has the same number of hours in a day, and how you choose to use those hours determines how effective you are." Well, that statement kind of blows the old "I don't have time" excuse! I have as much time as anyone else, so why do I feel that some of my days are spent rushing about, willy-nilly, putting out fires?? Is it over scheduling...biting off more than I can chew? (there are a couple of plots bouncing around in my head right now that I'm trying to get down on paper before they slip away.) Are my priorities out of whack and I'm focusing too much on the details, losing sight of the big picture? Does that account for the days when I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels and not accomplishing much?

I think the answer to my problem is going to be lists!! Lot's of lists...short term lists...long term lists. And I'm going to follow the advice of one of my girlfriends-her MO is to take each day, decide what can be accomplished, and focus on that. She swears that by handling "stuff" that way, she eventually gets everything done.

So what about you? What are your tricks in making effective use of those same 24 hours we all have?? Believe me...I'm open to any suggestions!!!

Got to fly-I have some lists to make!! 8) Take care and have a good one!

Best,
Shirley

6 comments:

Blodeuedd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Blodeuedd said...

Seems your mailbox is full so I couldn't email you

zabet17 said...

I got an error message too. It asked me to verify the email address.

Casey said...

Don't know if it will work for anyone else, but my time management trick is to set a timer for 45 minutes. In that time, all I do is write (or clean or whatever). When the timer rings, I then have 15 minutes to do whatever I want (knit, walk the dogs, empty the dishwasher, start dinner). When I know I have "all day," I tend to waste a lot more time then when I put this kind of limit on things. Works for me!

Jane said...

I got an error message, too.

Shirley Damsgaard said...

To everyone who's been trying to email me--there's a problem, Houston!!! And I wasn't aware of it!! Just one more thing to add to my list, huh?? Anyway, email me at sdamsgaard@msn.com. I KNOW that one's working!! Sorry for the inconvenience!!