Thursday, May 21, 2009

Confessions of an Addict

First, before I start in on this Thursday's blog, let me announce the winner of last week's THE EXODUS GATE contest!! Bridget3420! Congratulations!! Send Stephen (stephen@stephenzimmer.com) your mailing address to claim your prize!!

When I read Jess's blog this week, I felt a deep wave of sympathy!! You see I'm addicted to all things caffeinated!!! Tea, coffee, soft drinks...doesn't make a difference. I MUST have my coffee first thing in the morning and I hate being deprived of my fix. In fact, if I need to have some kind of test (you know the kind where you can't eat or drink anything after midnight?) Well, before it's over, it can get real ugly!

Anyway, Jess's comments started me thinking about things I can't live without! (Okay, there are more important things in my life, like my family and friends, than these little items and maybe I could live without them, BUT I doubt people would want to be around me if I were forced to give them up!) Here's my top five:

1.As stated...coffee!
2.Books. If I don't have a book on my nightstand, I go through withdrawal!
3.The Internet. I use it to conduct 99% of the business end of this writing gig, to stay in contact with other authors, to do research...the list goes on and on!! And when it's down...I feel so alone!! 9)
4.My cell phone...and honestly, that's a HUGE switch for me!! I used to make fun of people who acted like their cell was some kind of technological umbilical cord! But now, (she says blushing) I'm one of them!!
5.Cheetos cheese popcorn. If I'm having a bad day, a bag of that stuff lying around to snack on seems to make it all better! And yes, you can tell how bad the day's been by how orange my fingers are!

Okay, that's my list...how about you? What's in your life that isn't, maybe in the grand scheme, essential to your survival, but that you'd be hard pressed to do without???

Everyone have a great rest of the week and enjoy the long weekend!! Catch you next Thursday!

Best,
Shirley

5 comments:

sgzimmer said...

Hey Shirley,

Beyond books and the necessity of the Internet...energy drinks are my main vice (Monster being my fav), and popcorn at the movies are non-negotiables in my world.

Anton Gully said...

Exercise. And I never would have thought I'd be saying that now, twenty years ago.

Blodeuedd said...

Chocolate, oh yes chocolate, internet and books

JSB said...

Daaaark chocolate = the darker the better!

~J

Casey said...

Hot tea (the British way, just a spot of milk, please) and kntting. The two at the same time is my idea of nirvana.

Also, hot showers, visiting my bees, and the fountain in my fairy garden. It has a frog in the middle of it, and he spits water. Oh, how I love to sit and listen to the sound!