Monday, May 18, 2009

For the Love of Caffeine

Oh how I wish I could partake.

I'm allergic, at least it affects me badly and so therefore I don't ever drink it. I've received my share of scorn for not ever drinking cola, or coffee, or you should have seen the face on the waiter at the Empress Hotel on Victoria island when I went to 5 o'clock tea, then didn't drink any.

Yeah, I think he was looking around for candid camera for a while there. I loved the little sandwiches, they were delicious.

I'm tired. I'm in this situation where I need to do more than one person should ever be expected to do, and I just have to do it.

But I have to do it without the help of caffeine. That's where most people have one up on me. If I only get three hours of sleep in a night, I've got to gut it out the next day.

Honestly, is it bad that I'm looking forward to Nationals so I can rest?

I know it is human nature to push ourselves to the brink. How do we dial back? For those of us who can't up our game with stimulants, how do we accept that we just can't do everything?

I think it is in our nature as women to try to do everything. It's so hard to say no. My fellow estrogen-enhanced members of the human race are amazing. We've taken on more and more, and instead of backing off, we insist we should be able to do yet more to the point where we're insulted if we aren't "allowed" to take on another role in society.

I don't know. I just want a cup of coffee. I'm ready to lay my burdens on those that can help at this point and get a massage.

From a man.

Don't we all deserve it?

Jess

Dang it, I think I just might deserve it.

2 comments:

Natalie Hatch said...

Jess I'm with you, caffeine gives me migraines, so I avoid it like the plague.

Jess Granger said...

It's a tough life, isn't it?

I was teased mercilessly as a child because I wouldn't drink soda. And sometimes it is a problem because I'll go somewhere and all that is available to drink are caffeinated things.

While mild in the grand scheme of food intolerance/allergies it still isn't an easy life to lead. I guess I need more sleep.