Saturday, May 16, 2009

Move Over, Jessica Fletcher!

The author at home--not!



Was I ranting last year when I posted a blog over at http://www.thelittleblogofmurder.com/ dissing Jessica Fletcher?


You bet I was!


It’s not that I have anything against ol’ Jessica herself. She’s a smart lady, keeps a clean house (how many writers do you know who do that?), and is basically an asset to Cabot Cove, especially since she can solve any murder.


No, what I objected to is the way people treat Jessica. You see, I’d been watching some Murder She Wrote re-runs and I noticed that when Jessica goes to Hawaii, somebody throws a big luau in her honor. And when Jessica goes to Ireland, she stays in castles. And when Jessica sets foot in New York, her publisher, the hotel people, and every single person she meets on the street treats her like royalty.


So you can see why I blame Jessica for the fact that I wanted to become a mystery writer. I thought this is actually how things worked!

Of course I learned soon enough how wrong I could be. I have never been to Hawaii, but if I had, I don’t think there would be feasts in my honor. I’ve never been to Ireland, either, but I bet if I went, I’d wouldn’t be staying in a manor house. I’ve been to New York. Once, I got abandoned at the Times Square subway station. At two in the morning. By an editor.


Enough said.


Truth is, I’ve been jealous of Jessica all these years, jealous of the way she’s treated so well, just because she’s an author.

Not anymore.


I’ve finally gotten my revenge, and it came thanks to the Ohioana Book Festival in Columbus, Ohio last weekend. See, after the festival, all the authors got to go to the governor’s residence for a little soiree. Was it swell? You bet! There was a tent set up in the garden where we enjoyed munchies and a nice selection of Ohio wines. There was a program that we listened to, surrounded by native Ohio wildflowers. There was the governor’s wife’s gracious invitation to come on in and take a look at the house, and the house...it was grand!


Finally, I’ve been treated like Jessica Fletcher!


And you know what? I think I could get used to this!







Even Jessica Fletcher never had a tea service like this one! One lump, or two?





6 comments:

moonduster said...

LOL! I'm glad you had a good time. I hope you get many more days/trips like it. Authors SHOULD be treated like royalty!

Casey said...

I'm with you, moonduster! Treat authors like royalty...yeah!

Speaking of that, I got treated very nicely today at the Rocky River Book Festival in Rocky River, Ohio. A nice group of authors, lots of readers, and terrific people from Border's, too. Had a great time!

zabet17 said...

You Authors are coming to the wrong places. Try the east coast of Canada, we know how to treat guests!

Casey said...

Ooooh, I've always wanted to visit the east coast of Canada. And my husband has ancestors buried in Nova Scotia. I'm ready for a visit...somebody, invite me!!!

Pissenlit said...

Wow! Take that, Jessica Fletcher! :D

zabet17 said...

Actually Nova Scotia is where I am. I from Newfoundland but I moved here a few years ago to teach. They are both beautiful places and everyone who visits is shocked by the level of hospitality.