Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Off the grid

The power and internet has been down for the majority of the afternoon. It was actually pretty peaceful. I'd have thought I would chafe.

No surfing? No email? Our phones are cordless, so no telephone either. What should I do with such blissful quiet and plenty of natural light?

Why, I read, of course. I read two books today. That's what I did. The first was...

HOT SHOT by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

First off, this was one of her older books. I could totally tell that from the jump. In a more modern book, you wouldn't see the kind of jumping around in a romance novel that you did in this one. I think there were about ten points of view, but she writes well enough that it didn't bother me. There was a certain retro charm to the head-hopping. This book was very different from the ones SEP is known for, but if you're looking for something a little more epic -- and at this point, it would actually qualify as a historical, as it's set in the 70s and 80s -- you couldn't do better. I did recognize the plot as soon as I got a few pages into it, though. It's the classic setup where the woman meets the wrong man and marries him, only to meet the real hero halfway into the book. I'm afraid I'm not keen on that device, but this was a fun read nonetheless.

AS YOU DESIRE by Connie Brockway

I was never sorrier than when I learned Ms. Brockway would be writing women's fiction. Well, except when I learned Penelope Williamson had gone away from romance. Oh, Kristin Hannah, too. And Pamela Morsi... okay, perhaps I've been sad a lot. At any rate, I could have sworn I'd read this book. Turns out I hadn't. I devoured it in a single sitting and remembered why I was downcast, years ago, when I heard the news. Jesus, this romance is a tour-de-force and it's damn near pitch perfect. Harry is an amazing hero. It's hard to pull off the fine balance of sweetness and single-minded savagery, but she totally did it. And Desdemona is a great heroine. I love them so much together that I have no words.

What good books have you guys read recently? Wait, the questions get harder. If you had to pick one romance as your all-time favorite, what would it be? And why?

2 comments:

Pam P said...

Loved As You Desire, in my top 5 alltime romances. Still at the top of that list is Lord of Scoundrel by Loretta Chase - a tempermental hero unloved as a child, brash and arrogant, a heroine who understands him and knows just how to handle him. Wonderful writing and scenes.

Blodeuedd said...

I read Hot in Here by Sophie Renwick and yes it was very hot.
As for a fav romance...dunno, it's a hard one. I do have a weak spot for those totally cheesy Cartland novels