Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Calling all book addicts


They say the first step to curing an addiction is admitting you have a problem. So okay - I'll say it. My bookshelves are out of control.

I was even going to take a picture of them for this blog post until I realized that you probably don't want to look at stacks of books next to shelved books next to half-opened books that are all together not very pretty but - believe it or not - organized to where I know exactly where everything is.

It's not like anything has changed recently. I've always had too many books. It used to be that whenever I'd need more room, I bought more shelves. But then we ran out of wall space in our bedroom. So I moved some books into boxes in my son's room. That worked out (mostly) unless I absolutely needed to read Pride and Prejudice at eleven o'clock at night, at which point I'd be shuffling through my sleeping son's closet with the teeny tiny key light that I got for free five years ago at a festival and it *still* works (go AT&T for your choice in flimsy plastic key lights). Thank goodness my son is a deep sleeper.

Anyhow, I have no more room in the boy child's closet (even a two-year-old needs room for a wardrobe) so I moved onto my daughter's closet. She has these high shelves that she can't reach anyway. We don't want them to go to waste, right?

Really, I was just being economical by stacking about a hundred or so books on her shelf. Forget that I didn't go through them for content. My bad, since last week I caught five-year-old Maddie "reading" an Ellora's Cave title called Manaconda. And yes, it had the naked guy backside with a big snake curled around it. Maddie claimed it was her "favorite" book about snakes. I was just glad the only words she knows how to spell are "cow" and "dog."

So what is a book addict to do? Short of letting go? What do you do when your bookshelves get out of control?

10 comments:

Chris said...

LOL - I just posted about this, describing it as BABBLE (Book Acquisition Beyond Believed Life Expectancy). I'm double-shelving the books these days. This would be after I got big new bookcases earlier this year...

Casey said...

Last summer, I spoke at a wonderful writers' conference in PA. The chair, a lovely woman named Judith, invited my husband and I to stay at her house. Talk about books! Every room in her home is lined with bookshelves, and each room is for a different genre. The bedroom we stayed in was mysteries, the sunroom is Sci-Fi, etc. I was impressed. More than impressed, I was blown away!

azteclady said...

Oh, dear :grin:

Well, letting go is just not an option so this is what I've done.

(and I need to do a second post on it, because I just got a couple more bookcases...)

aimdel said...

I have VERY limited space for the tons of books I buy, so in the last few years I have had to FORCE myself my be good and not buy many new ones. I have instead stuck to buying books in ongoing series, books for kids (hey; they need the classics!) and books I can’t find in the Library. I have been visiting the library OFTEN!!
Since my Hubby collects comics, my closets are already full of them. My books have to go in watertight plastic bins in the garage. Each bin has a subject written on the side so I know where everything is. It also keeps the Naughty Cover Romances out of my 8 year olds hands (she can read now, so soon you will have to put them on top shelves far from young eyes) Good Luck! If all else fails, give some to ME!

Melissa said...

Okay, so I DO cull my books every so often. LOL, it's not easy, and the keepers keep getting more and more friends, but there are some I can let go of. Usually to friends, my Mom...........and I've always go that thought in the back of my head that I can find them again, even if I have to get them at a used book store, lol. There are some books I just CAN'T part with, lol. I have found that even with my eReader, while I know I have them on the computer, I still have a hard time deleting books I love to make room for new books. LMAO....I am such an addict, but I love it!!

Roxanne Rhoads said...

Every single hidey hole space in my home has books stuffed in it...everywhere there are books.

I have books inside my entertainment center, on my entertainment center, in my end tables, stuffed under my bed, next to my bed, under my computer, an ever growing stack next to my computer and now even my armoir is getting filled with books. I don't have a clothes rod so I am having hubby build shelves inside it for more of my books.

Plus I have books in my office in the basement, a whole bookcase at my mom's full of most of my childhood books like Babysitter's Club and Sweey Valley High (my daughter already raided all the Goosebumps, Fear Street and Christopher Pike books, she's following in my paranormal loving footsteps) and my kids have bookcases in each of their rooms full of books...

That's alot of freakin books.

My husband promises someday we'll have a bigger house with an honest to goodness library. That would be heaven.

Pissenlit said...

When my bookshelves get out of control? I make sure I have dresser, desk and table top space. When those get out of control, I dig up a lot of boxes and bags along with floor space. Ya, not a very good solution. :)

Angie Fox said...

I am so going to show my husband what you guys are saying. The man thinks I'm a bit nuts-o about my books.

Love the above-the-window and below-the-window shelves, Azteclady. I may have to try that.

Laurie said...

She who dies with the most books wins right? That's my story and I'm sticking to it! And I'm SO glad I'm not the only one. My hubby says that I should start my own used book store, but that would mean I'd have to sell them (gasping, choking, etc at the very idea). Anyway, hubby bought me a ebook reader for Christmas '08 and it now has 68 books on it. And that's not including the hardcovers and paperbacks that I still buy. OMG, I really do have a problem!

scott taylor said...

we pack up about 90% and stored them. Lately we have been going all electronic. I use my laptop and the wife uses her sony reader. So far I have about 4000 ebooks. This fall its Flea market time for most of the Fiction we own. Nice thing about Ebooks they take up No physical space