Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Cool news

It's common knowledge that my editor, the fabulous Anne Sowards, has asked for steampunk. What you may not know is this: eight years ago, I wrote a steampunk novel with my husband called Bronze Gods. It's a dark, lush dangerous world set in what we'd call fairy. Only "under the hill" isn't the pastoral utopia it once was.

Because there are fairly regular crossings (once every hundred years or so), our technology has gradually infiltrated the other world. So when steam ships go missing, well, that's where they've gone. The original population, the Ferishers--what we'd call the Seelie and Unseelie--have long since interbred with the humans who crossed over. Now there are no pure bloods left, and there are noble houses formed on the basis of how much Ferisher blood is left in their lineage. Ferisher blood permits their human descendants to work small magics and cast glamours. The fey who refused to share their world with the interlopers fell into the Fade; their bodies withered and died, leaving them hungry, angry spirits that haunt the countryside. Some citizens can summon those spirits and use them to gain strength and power.

In this book, there's murder, mayhem, dark rituals, theatre, forbidden romance, a dark lord who has been called the King of Spiders, a drug-addicted gray knight who works as a cop, and a genealogist who is cursed with sensing lies.

Sound good?

Well, Anne wants to see it. How cool is that?

21 comments:

Katiebabs a.k.a KB said...

Very awesome! :D

Ann Aguirre said...

Thanks. The work is clicking along nicely. This book has never been shopped or seen by agent or editor. Steampunk was so unpopular when we wrote it that I figured there was no point.

lurvalamode said...

Well, if Anne sees it, loves it, buys it and it gets published then I will grab it! How's about that?

Ann Aguirre said...

Oh, lots of "if"s. I don't know if she'll like it. I'm just excited that this steampunk epic will have a chance. It was originally 140K words long! I'm cutting and polishing now. The goal is 110K.

Katiebabs a.k.a KB said...

Ann, if you wrote a guide to lawn weed removal, I would read it.

Ann Aguirre said...

Hee! That makes me unbelievably happy to hear. But no plans for lawn weed removal guides in the near future. *g*

Juliana Stone said...

good luck Ann, it sounds wonderful, more so cause you wrote it with your hubby!

Pissenlit said...

*nodnod* Sounds good! Very cool.

Kimberly B. said...

This sounds awesome! I'm intrigued by Steampunk, and I love Ann's writing, so this would be right up my alley!

lurvalamode said...

I'm choking laughing at Bab's lawn weed buying promise.

Best of luck with it, Ann. I'm looking forward to reading me some steampunk regardless.

Ann Aguirre said...

It's different to work on something you haven't looked at in years, but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Angie Fox said...

Ohh I love it! I'd buy it too. I'm really excited about the resurgence in Steam Punk and this story sounds fantastic. Read fast, Ms. Sowards, read fast. The rest of us want a turn as soon as we can get it.

Kristen said...

This sounds fantastic! But then, I'll pick up any book with your name on the cover.

MaryK said...

Wow, I bet your agent flipped when she found out one of her own has a steampunk manuscript tucked away!

Casey said...

This sounds terrific and I wish you the best of luck with it, but I have to admit...I've never heard of steampunk. What is it? (And am I horribly out of it for having to ask????)

Matt said...

That's very cool! I'd considered making my current book steampunk, but wasn't sure if there would be a market for it. Hmmm.

Rob said...

Wow. That book is one I would definitely read. I hope it's published soon.
:)
Love From Canada
Twitter.com/RKCharron
xoxo

Janicu said...

I am very happy about this. :D

Fresh Fiction said...

Cool, Ann, and definitely good luck with Anne's reading of it. I keep telling people, do what you love, be prepared and time / luck / circumstances will catch up with you!

Sara Reyes / FreshFiction.com

Ann Aguirre said...

I'm happy to report my part in this is done. Right now the book sits at around 97K. Now Andres needs to go through and add anything he thinks the book needs. Once he finishes, I'm sending it out.

Ann Aguirre said...

Eep, I didn't see where Casey asked what steampunk is.

It's gaslight Victorian society transplanted elsewhere, generally, either another world or another timeline, but with differences.

Steam technologies have gone further than they ever did in our world. There might be Zeppelins taking people to Mars, clockwork robot men, etc.