Monday, June 29, 2009

I'm back! And so are they...

Hi everyone!

I'm happy to say I'm on the mend after a little bout with some much needed surgery. Surgery itself is a surreal experience, but I don't want to talk about that.

I want to talk about Transformers.

When I was growing up, I pretty much failed in the girly-girl department. I completely blame my brothers and my super short, permed, David Hasslehoff-eat-your-heart-out haircut complete with mini mullet. (I sooooo wish I was kidding.)

Anyway, to make a long story short, yes, I had My Little Ponies (a lot of them), and yes I had a doll house, (with no dolls, strangely), and yes I had Cabbage Patch kids (one was a cross dresser but that's another story), but you know what else I had?

Transformers.

And I loved them. Granted, the ones I owned had nothing on my brothers' collections. I did manage to play with them as a kid, and I was the only one out of the three of us who retained the magic transformation knowledge for several of the half-in half-out robot/car/truck/dinosaurs/bugs. I still have a love for manipulation puzzles as an adult, but they're very hard to find.

I remember watching the cartoon every Saturday for what seemed like twenty years. But I haven't seen the movies.

Granted, I haven't seen very many movies after having the kiddos. I'm hoping to get back in the theater with them once they get a little older. But any time I see previews for the movies, I find myself searching for the robot's faces. With all the high-tech coolness of the robots now, I can't see their faces anymore, and for some reason that makes me connect with them less.

A face is so much of a character. Say what you will about the tendencies of romance, but I believe I spend much more time describing my character's faces over any of their other body parts.

It makes me wonder if that is a more general tendency of modern science fiction. When we focus on the coolness of technology, do we sacrifice character? Hmmm, that bears more reflection. In the mean time, I'll try to get out there and give these faceless robots a fair chance. After all, I still like explosions.

Jess

3 comments:

Casey said...

Glad you're feeling better, Jess! As for Transformers . . . way after my time!!!!

JSB said...

The first one is well worth it. Much nostalgia there. The second one...run screaming and hold on to your childhood love. :P

Jana

Jess Granger said...

Good to know, thanks!