Friday, June 19, 2009

A Salute to Fathers

With Father's Day on the horizon, it seemed like a good time to talk about well, father...in fiction. Or at least it did until I realized I really can't think of that many truly great fathers from the books I read. The most obvious can-not-miss example of a father is, of course, Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird. Atticus Finch was a man everyone (man, woman and child) at their best wants to be. But after Atticus, I came up dry. Why is that?

I found a few lists on the Internet. Here's one. Here's another. This last list reminded me of another book that deals with father/son relations--Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. It is definitely a book centered on how the main character the son lets not wanting to be like his father color everything about his own world. So, while the father isn't "bad" he also isn't "good" or noble like Atticus Finch. He's more true to life in that he is who he is and it's more about the son dealing with that than the father being changed. I have to say I liked that about the book.

But back to the initial question. What books can you think of that deal with father's or feature fathers? I'm sure we could name hundreds where mothers play a major role. Why not fathers?

2 comments:

Anton Gully said...

I haven't actually read the books, only seen the TV show - but what about Dexter's dad? Does he feature in the books?

Lori Devoti said...

I've never seen Dexter or read the books...but seriously, there have to be more fathers out there. I'm trying to think of any urban fantasy with fathers...coming up dry. I think Ivy's father in the Kim Harrison series makes an appearance. Oh, I have one! In Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld. The warlock/mafia family. That father had a big role in one book.