Thursday, June 4, 2009

Vacation Time!


I'm going on vacation! Okay, so it's a mini-vacation and only for a few days, but still...it's strictly for pleasure and doesn't have anything to do with writing. Wait a second, that's not true!! I'm going to Minnesota, to visit my aunt and uncle at their home on Crooked Lake and the setting for my current manuscript is inspired by that lake!! (Does that mean I can consider this trip "research" and claim it as a deduction??? 8) )

All joking aside, this has brought home one thing...at least for me, no matter what I'm doing, the stories are never far away and the inspiration for them is everywhere. On TV, in magazines, in the news, an off-handed remark someone might make...this stuff soaks into my brain, and my imagination is off and running, usually fired by the question "what if?" Or maybe "isn't that interesting...I wonder if...?" I guess the word "if" plays a bigger role in my life than one would expect! 8) And you know, I like it that way. It allows me to see the world as an exciting, mysterious place, never knowing what's around the next corner. It also allows me to create worlds where the hero can always win and happy endings are always possible. I wouldn't change it even if I could.

So, we'll see what happens over the next few days as I'm sitting by the lake, sipping the wine with which my aunt always plies her guests, and listening to the call of the loons. Who knows what stories will pop into my head? What if...? 8)

Catch you next week,
Shirley

2 comments:

Casey said...

Have fun, Shirley! This sounds like a perfect get-away to me...beautiful setting, peace and quiet, oh, and wine!

Blodeuedd said...

Have fun :D