Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Zombies and Crafts - In That Order

So I have two things to talk about today. First, we have the cover for the new anthology. This one is coming out in January 2010.

Here's the official blurb:
FOUR WOMEN ARE ABOUT TO DIG UP THE TRUTH
Tired of boyfriends who drain you dry? Sick of guys who stay out all night howling at the moon? You can do better. Some men want you not only for your body, but your brains. Especially your brains.

It’s true! There are men out there who care—early-rising, down-to-earth, indefatigable men who’ll follow you for miles. They’ll take the time to surprise you, over and over. One sniff of that perfume, and you’ll have to use a shotgun to fight them off. And then, once you get together, all they want is to share a nice meal. And another. And another.

Oh my. Of course the zombie in my story is a hotter-than-sin re-animated hunk who is just looking for a second chance at love. Everybody deserves that, right?

The second thing I wanted to talk about is totally unrelated to zombies, voodoo or things that go bump in the night. That said, it does scare me. In fact, this is hard to even type, but I think I am a craft addict. There I said it. If you want proof, let me tell you about the eighty-three dollars I spent at Hobby Lobby today.

I try to stay away from that place because I go overboard, but this time, it was a necessity. Sort of. See, Lisa Cooke (who is another Dorchester author) was talking to me about belly dancing. She recommended some great belly dance exercise tapes and they are a lot of fun. I even have this little clinky-clinky scarf belt I found. (Yes, it's the small things in life). Well, enter my five-year-old, who wanted to exercise too. We've had a blast belly dancing, but now she also wants a clinky-clinky belt.

How hard can it be to make one, right? So we headed to Hobby Lobby for a ninety-nine cent scarf and some jingle bells. Until we saw the mosaic crafts. I broke down and bought supplies for those because, er, our house is woefully without homemade mosaics. And then there's the shrinky-dink aisle. Who am I to deny my kids? The cake decorating aisle (I make cakes for fun and when you see something cool for 4th of July...). I'm just proud I stayed away from the homemade glycerin soap kit. If I wasn't on a deadline for A Tale of Two Demon Slayers, I think I'd be brewing up sweet-smelling suds this afternoon.

So that's how a ninety-nine cent scarf and some jingle bells turned into four bags that I should probably hide from my husband. What about you? Am I the only craft addict? If so, what stores or activities do you have trouble resisting?

5 comments:

Casey said...

Love the cover! Love the blurb! Love it that you and your daughter are belly dancing and spending money on crafts. Too much TV and computer in our lives...not enough handmade stuff, no matter what it is.

Pissenlit said...

Oh, I feel your pain. I'm addicted to crafty things too so I try to stay away from art stores, craft stores and bead stores. Sometimes I cave, intending on only picking up one or two specific things, and I end up leaving the store with a lot more than I meant to.

Melissa said...

Great cover!!
LOL, I have a hard time resisting place like Bath & Body, the bookstores, Victoria Secrets, Kirklands....so I just avoid the mall if I don't want to spend. The stores I don't have a hard time resisting, my daughter does, lol. So I just don't go if I don't have the mulah to blow....and it's usually on stuff I don't need, just think is such a great steal I have to have it!!

Angie Fox said...

Yes, I think part of the problem is that I had been holding back and our craft supplies were pretty much down to nothing.

But I love doing random projects, even if they don't look all that great in the end. In fact, there's a certain satisfaction in the lopsided art. As a professional writer, I'm always honing my manuscripts, trying to do the best I can. So getting to mess up a craft is freeing to say the least. If you need evidence of that, just look at my daughter's jingle belt. ;)

Angie Fox said...

Ah yes, Melissa. Bath & Body Works has been sending me oodles of coupons. Evil temptors. We shall resist together!