Saturday, July 11, 2009

Blame it on Stewart Granger


I always thought I was a born anglophile. I love British history, British accents, books set in Britain. Offer me the world, but give me the British isles any day! I even had a theory for a while that it was all tied up with reincarnation, that we're naturally attracted to places and time periods in which we once lived.


Crazy? Think about it. I know one woman who's interested in Napoleonic France. To me, that time period is a big ho-hum. I know others who can't get enough of American Civil War history. Interesting, yes. But it doesn't fascinate me the way all things British do. My time periods? Well, I'm a sucker for the Victorians. And historical (not legendary) King Arthur, which means somewhere around the 5th Century AD.


All this reincarnation mumbo-jumbo actually makes perfect sense to me. After all, it explains everything.


Or I should say explained everything.


Because just this week I realized that my love of British accents and British history has nothing at all to do with past lives--and everything to do with Stewart Granger.


I can't remember a time I haven't been in love with the British actor. He was handsome. He was dashing. He was adventurous. And if you've never heard of him, don't feel bad. He was a big star back in the 50s and 60s.


That being said, I'm not nearly as old as you think! I remember watching his movies in endless re-runs on Saturday afternoon TV back when I was a kid. Movies like "King Solomon's Mine" where he played an intrepid explorer in Africa. And "Scaramouche" in which he's a swashbuckling French revoluionary. And then there's "Prisoner of Zenda," my very favorite (which also happens to feature a young, handsome and very evil James Mason).


I was reminded of all this just this week as the TMC channel began a month-long salute to Stewart Granger. I haven't caught all his movies, but I'm hoping to see a few more before July is over.


And as I sat there and watched him make his way across an African desert with Deborah Kerr, it finally all made sense.


I'm an anglophile, all right.


And it's all Stewart Granger's fault!


5 comments:

Angie Fox said...

Ohh...I'm going to check that out. I've heard of him. Never seen him. But I like what I see. ;)

Casey said...

he's quite the hero, Angie, with a wonderful deep voice and that gorgeous face! He was tall (6'3", I think). My idea of the perfect hero!

Casey said...

My apologies...got the channel wrong.

It's TCM, and you can find the schedule of Stewart Granger movies at tcm.com

Anyone going to the RWA conference? I'm going to be in DC next weekend, and popping in to have lunch with a friend. Any chance of getting the Wicked ladies together?

tundazi said...

vulnerable, haunted, chased by deamons...this is the innerchild i sense when i see this fine actor's eyes, especially in the later role of the safari guide in 'the last safari" with kaz whoever he was. (WHY did mr. granger get second billing?) what we get is the real deal, mostly unseen in hollywood or in his generation, a man out of balence, with a lost inner guide, unable to hold onto the comforts of his life's loves, unable to prove to himself that he WAS brave, unable to come home within himself...instead relegated to crutty roles on the tele like michael rennie or others so filled with promise. there is no tragedy here, the man is what he was, in touch with his imperfection, and at once and the same...forever lost to himself, his loves, and us. thank you for leaving us with this yearning, this almost perfect man's man, in a world where comfort and completion are inevitable, unattainable. thank you jimmy stewart. thank you alan quartermain.

prettylady1830 said...

I fell in love with the handsome Stewart Granger when I was 13 and saw King Solomons Mines. He is so gorgeous he should be illegal and that voice with his accent smooth as silk and slippery as satin. He was quite the romantic and ladies man but who could blame the ladies for falling in love with him.