Monday, July 27, 2009

Pack it up! We Have a Winner!

Congratulations Diane M, you won a signed copy of Beyond the Rain, by leaving a comment on this post. Please send me an email through the contact page of my website, and I'll send you a book.

As for me, I've been thinking about packing. I'm not a big fan of packing, though I'm pretty good at it. You wouldn't believe the amount of stuff I can arrange in the back of the van if I decide to go camping, or say, to Disney World with the whole family and both sets of grandparents. To me, that's like a puzzle, and I'm good at making it all fit.

So why is it I'm so terrible at unpacking? My suitcase from D.C. is still in a state of disarray, and I really don't want to touch it. Yet it sits there, taunting me.

I'd blame it on the excitement of going somewhere vs. the let down of getting back, but the truth is, I don't like packing the suitcase either. I just like trying to fit it in the car. Before a trip, I'm always up until the wee hours of the night dealing with my suitcase.

And I always forget something. At the convention it was a slip for a skirt. Even though it looked fine and you couldn't see through it, I still felt naked and I could hear my grandma's voice in my head telling me ladies always wear a slip. Actually the voice in my head chastised my social blunder a little more bluntly, but I'm not in the mood to be crass at the moment.

As I come up on yet another move, I'll be spending days if not weeks in packing/unpacking limbo. And all I feel is stress. I just want the mess to get taken care of, but the only one who can take care of it is me.

I guess the only way to deal with it is to roll up the sleeves and pick up one thing at a time. Eventually things will settle down again, and then I can put my feet up and forget I even own a suitcase for a while.

Jess

No comments: