Friday, July 31, 2009

What is it about kids?

Why do they avoid the simplest of everyday tasks? I'm not talking cleaning their rooms or even NOT throwing every tiny bit of trash they create on the floor, I'm talking say brushing their teeth.

I mean seriously, how hard is it? But it must be hard because mine go to great lengths to avoid it.

First it was the "I'm just not doing it/lie when asked" approach.

I started testing the brushes for moisture. I also listen for the sound of our dear friend Mr. Sonicare going.

Then it was "wet the toothbrush and hold it while going" tactic.

I started smelling their breath. Thought I had them then. This works well with hand washing by the way...if you can't smell the soap they need to be washed again...but with the tooth brushing it was a tad harder. Neither of my kids use mint toothpaste and the fruit ones are a little more subtle...But still, I thought this technique was working until I discovered my son was...

"squirting toothpaste air into his mouth." Direct quote.

We buy plastic squeeze bottles of toothpaste. The little (bleeped) was blowing watermelon scented air into his mouth then asking me to smell it.

Yes, yes he was...

Now, seriously wouldn't it be easier just to brush your teeth?

3 comments:

Angie Fox said...

Holy moley. If you wrote that in a book, nobody would believe it. Although I do remember when I was a kid I'd hide my green beans in my milk glass and then offer to clear the dishes so I could dump them down the sink. Beware of kids offering help.

Candy O'Donnell said...

My kids do the same things. I have had to go to extremes over the years especially with the teeth thing...

Lori Devoti said...

Well, I did have to give him points for ingenuity!
My daughter used to hide food. It was insane what I would find and where I would find it...