Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What a month!

July has been packed full of work and travel. I really enjoyed my time in DC. We did some sightseeing; I had meetings with a couple of lovely editors. The panels were excellent -- Anne Stuart was lovely, as always. The workshops I participated in went well, apart from the fire alarm in the middle. That was awesome.

Since coming home, I've been working like crazy, and I've finished revisions on two projects: Nightfall (apocalyptic paranormal romance) and Bronze Gods (the steampunk I told you about). Those are now in the hands of my agent and/or editor, so I'll be on tenterhooks until the verdict comes back.

No matter how many books I sell, I never lose the quiet worry that dovetails with the excitement. Will anyone else like this? Will it go the distance? With nine books under contract, I haven't been on the waiting wheel for a good while. (I call it that because in my mind I'm a hamster spinning until somebody gets back to me. Oh, I might be moving but I'm not really going anywhere until I have the answer.) And it's hard not to obsess about it, even as you tell yourself intellectually, they're busy people. I shouldn't think about it. It will be months before I know anything. But how do you NOT think about it?

Give me some techniques and strategies for getting weighty issues off your mind, will you?

5 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

Sorry can't help you there, I always think too much.
Hopefully someone will have some advice for me too.

I like the sound of that apocalyptic romance

Angie Fox said...

I'm a big fan of the chocolate technique. Or perhaps a good book.

Love the title Bronze Gods for steampunk. Hang in there - both these projects sound great.

Jess Granger said...

Man I'm in the same boat.

Jess

Ann Aguirre said...

Waiting sucks! I'm supposed to have written a synopsis this afternoon and so far, nada. All promotional stuff, which I think might be a total waste of my time and energy.

The steampunk trilogy has some great titles.

Bronze Gods
Silver Mirrors
Golden Idols

Jess, I so know what you mean.

Venus Vaughn said...

It's a very temporary solution, but I do a Sudoku puzzle or three to get my mind back to basics.

It's good for a break or trying to get to sleep because it activates a different part of the brain, but it also has no long-term impact, and, well, it simply doesn't matter if you get it wrong. There's always another puzzle in the book.

A nice low-tech solution to a racing mind.